The ancient city is located between Vergina and Palatitsa. A post-byzantine church dedicated to the Holy Trinity (Agia Triada church) was built in the place of its palace.
Balla or Valla (Balla, Steph. B. s. v.; Ouallai, Ptol. iii. 13. § 40: Eth. Ballaios, Steph.; Vallaeus, Plin. iv. 10. s. 17), a town of Macedonia, placed in Pieria by Ptolemy and Pliny, the inhabitants of which were removed to Pythium. (Steph. l. c.) As Pythium was in Perrhaebia, at the southwestern foot of the Pierian mountains, Leake places Balla in the mountainous part of Pieria, and supposes that Velvendo may have derived its name from it. In that case it would be a different place from the Bala of the Table, which stood about midway between Dium and Berrhoea. (Leake, Northern Greece, vol. iii. p. 425.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited July 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!