The Erasinus (Erasinos, also Ardinos, Strab. viii.6: Kephalari) is the only river in the plain of Argos which flows during the whole year. Its actual course in the plain of Argos is very short; but it was universally believed to be the same stream as the river of Stymphalus, which disappeared under Mt. Apelauron, and made its reappearance, after a subterranean course of 200 stadia, at the foot of the rocks of Mt. Chaon, to the SW. of Argos. It issues from these rocks in several large streams, forming a river of considerable size (hence ingens Erasinus, Ov. Met. xv. 275), which flows directly across the plain into the Argolic gulf. The waters of this river turn a great number of mills, from which the place is now called The Mills of Argos (hoi muloi tou Argous). At the spot where the Erasinus issues from Mt. Chaon, there is a fine lofty cavern, with a roof like an acute Gothic arch, and extending 65 yards into the mountain (Leake). It is perhaps from this cavern that the mountain derives its name (from chao, chaino, chasko). The only tributary of the Erasinus is the Phrixus (Phrixos, Paus. ii. 36.6, 38.1), which joins it near the sea.
This extract is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited April 2005 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!