Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "PYRRICHOS
Information about the place (3)
The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites
Town situated in the center of the Mama on the only road crossing
the peninsula to the S of Gytheion. The city was a member of the Eleutherolakonian
League (Paus. 3.21.7 and 25.1). The site has been identified with the modern village
of Kavalos (now renamed Pyrrhichos), in the environs of which is a place called
Pourko whose name could be seen as derived from the ancient name. The area has
not been excavated, and except for a few lintels and reused architectural fragments,
nothing is today visible. Some chance finds (inscriptions, coins, etc.) have vanished
or have been taken to the museum at Gytheion.
C. Le Roy, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Sep 2002 from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Purrhichos. A town of Laconia, situated about the centre of the promontory
ending in Cape Taenarum, and distant 40 stadia from the river Scyras. According
to some it derived its name from Pyrrhus, the son of Achilles, according to others
from Pyrrhicus, one of the Curetes. Silenus was also said to have been brought
up here. It contained temples of Artemis Astrateia and of Apollo Amazonius,--the
two surnames referring to the tradition that the Amazons did not proceed further
than this place. There was also a well in the agora. The ruins of this town have
been discovered by the French Commission near the village of Kavalo, where they
found the well of which Pausanias speaks, the torso of a female statue, the remains
of baths, and several Roman ruins. Leake observes that the distance of 40 stadia
from the Scyras to Pyrrhichus must be measured, not from the mouth of that river,
as Boblaye proposes, but from near its sources. Augustus made Pyrrhichus one of
the Eleuthero-Laconian towns.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.