There are ruins of the ancient Aegiae at the place Paleochora tis Limnis.
Aegaeae (Aighiai, Paus. iii. 21. § 5; Haigaial, Strab. p. 364: Limni). A town of Laconia, at the distance of 30 stadia from Gythium, supposed to be the same as the Homeric Augeiae. (Angelhai, Il. ii. 583; comp. Steph. B. s. v.) It possessed a temple and lake of Neptune. Its site is placed by the French Commission at Limni, so called from an extensive marsh in the valley of the eastern branch of the river of Passava.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!