IPPOLA (Ancient city) ITYLO
Eth. Hippolaites, fern Hippolaitis. A town of Laconia, a little north-west of the promontory of Taenarum, in ruins in the time of Pausanias. It contained a temple of Athena Hippolaitis. It stood either at Kipula, which is apparently a corruption of the ancient name, or at the ruins called kastron tes horaias on the highest point of the peninsula of Kavo Grosso.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!