ITHOMI (Acropolis) MESSINIA
Pausanias claims that it is the Messenian Ithome that Homer includes in the List of Ships (Paus. 4,9,2). The truth is, however, that the Ithome mentioned by Homer must be a town in Thessaly, since it is mentioned along with other Thessalic towns (Ekd. Athinon, Pausaniou Periegissis, vol. 3, p.57, note 1).
Eth. Andanieus, Andanios. An ancient town of Messenia, and the capital of the kings of the race of the Leleges. It was celebrated as the birthplace of Aristomenes, but towards the end of the second Messenian war it was deserted by its inhabitants, who took refuge in the strong fortress of Ira. From this time it was only a village. Livy describes it as a parvum oppidum, and Pausanias saw only its ruins. It was situated on the road leading from Messene to Megalopolis. Its ruins, according to Leake, are now called Ellinikokastro, and are situated upon a height near the village of Fyla or Filia. The Homeric Oechalia is identified by Strabo with Andania, but by Pausanias with Carnasium, which was only 8 stadia from Andania.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
MESSINI (Ancient city) ITHOMI
(Eth. and Adj. Messenios: Adj. Messeniakos). The later capital of Messenia, built under the direction of Epaminondas in B.C. 369. (Diod. xv. 66; Paus. iv. 27.) The name of Messene had been applied in ancient times to the country inhabited by the Messenians; but there was no city of this name till the one founded by Epaminondas. The Thebans and their allies assisted the Messenians in building it; and the best architects and masons were invited from all Greece to lay out the city with regularity, and to arrange and construct properly the temples and other public buildings. Epaminondas also took especial pains with the fortifications, which were regarded by Pausanias as the most perfect in Greece. The walls, as well as the towers and bulwarks, were built entirely of stone; and the excellence and solidity of the masonry are still apparent in the existing remains. (Paus. iv. 31. § 5.) The foundation of the city was attended with great pomp and the celebration of solemn sacrifices. First, sacrifices were offered by Epaminondas, who was recognised as Oekist or Founder, to Dionysus and Apollo Ismenius, - by the Argives to the Argive Hera and Zeus Nemeius, - by the Messenians to Zeus Ithomatas and the Dioscuri. Next, prayer was offered to the ancient Heroes and Heroines of the Messenian nation, especially to the warrior Aristomenes, that they would come back and take up their abode in the new city. After this, the ground was marked out and the building begun, under the sound of Argive and Boeotian flutes, playing the strains of Pronomus and Sacadas. (Paus. iv. 28. § 6; Grote's Greece, vol. ix. p. 309.) The history of this town is related under Messenia so that it is only necessary in this place to give an account of its topography.
Messene is situated upon a rugged mountain, which rises between the two great Messenian plains, and which thus commands the whole country. This mountain, about half-way up, divides into two summits, of which the northern was called Ithome and the southern Eva. The sharp ridge connecting them is about half a mile in length. Mt. Ithome is one of the most striking objects in all Peloponnesus. It rises to the height of 2631 feet, or more than 700 feet higher than the Acrocorinthus; but it looks much loftier than it really is, in consequence of its precipitous sides and isolated position. Upon this summit the Acropolis of Messene was built; but the city itself was situated in a hollow somewhat in the form of a shell, extending on the west side of the sharp ridge which connects Ithome and Eva. The city was connected by a continuous wall with its acropolis. There are considerable remains of the ancient city, and the walls may still be traced in the greater part of their extent. They are most perfect on the northern side, with the. Arcadian or Megalopolitan gate in the centre. They may be followed up to the summit of Ithome, and then along the ridge connecting Ithome and Eva ; but here towards the south-east traces of them are sometimes lost. In this part, however, the foundations of the eastern or Laconian gate, as it has been called, are clearly seen. The summit of Mt. Eva was evidently not included within the city walls. The direction of the southern wall is most uncertain. From the eastern gate to the ruins, which are supposed to be those of the southern gate, and near which the present road runs to the southern Messenian plain, no line of walls can be traced; but on the western side the walls may again be clearly followed. The circumference of the walls is about 47 stadia, or nearly 6 English miles ; but it includes a large space altogether unfit for the site of buildings; and the great extent was doubtless intended to receive a part of the surrounding population in time of war.
The space included within the city-walls now consists of corn-fields and pastures amidst woods of wild olive and oak. Nearly in the centre of the ancient town is the modern village of Mavromati ; and near the southern gate, at the foot of Mount Eva, are two poor villages, named Simissa. On the eastern slope of Mount Eva is the monastery of Vurkano, embossed in cypress and orange groves, and one of the most elegant and picturesque structures of this class in Greece.
The northern gate, leading to Megalopolis in Arcadia (Paus. iv. 33. § 3), is one of the finest specimens of Greek military architecture in existence. Its form is seen in the preceding plan. It is a small fortress, containing double gates opposite to one another, and connected by a circular court of 62 feet in diameter. In front of the outer gate on either side is a strong rectangular tower. Upon entering the court through the outer gate, there is a niche on each side for a statue, with an inscription over it. The one on the left hand is still legible, and mentions Quintus Plotius Euphemion as the restorer (Bockh, Inscr. No. 1460). Pausanias (iv. 33. § 3) notices in this gate a Hermes in the Attic style, which may possibly have stood in one of these niches. Leake observes that the interior masonry of the circular court is the most exact and beautiful he ever saw. The lower course is a row of stones, each about 5 1/2 in length and half as much in height; upon this is placed another course of stones of equal length and of half the height, the joints of which are precisely over the centre of each stone in the lower course. The upper part of the walls has fallen: nine courses are the most that remain. Neither gateway retains its covering, but the flat architrave of the inner one lies in an oblique position upon the ruins of the wall by which it was formerly supported; it measures 18 feet 8 inches in length by 4 feet 2 inches in breadth, and 2 feet 10 inches in thickness. The road still leads through this gate into the circuit of the ancient city. The ruins of the towers, with the interjacent curtains, close to the gate on the slope of Mount Ithome, show this part of the fortifications to have resembled a chain of strong redoubts, each tower constituting a fortress of itself. A flight of steps behind the curtain led to a door in the flank of the tower at half its height. The upper apartment, which was entered by the door, had a range of loopholes, or embrasures, on a line with the door, looking along the parapet of the curtain, and was lighted by two windows above. The embrasures, of which there are some in each face of the towers, have an opening of 7 inches within, and of 3 feet 9 inches without, so that, with a small opening, their scope is very great. The windows appear to be too high for any purpose but to give light. Both the curtains and towers in this part of the walls are constructed entirely of large squared blocks, without rubble or cement. The curtains are 9 feet thick. The inner face of the towers has neither door nor window. The tower next to the gate of Megalopolis has had all the stones disjointed, like those of the Propylaea at Athens, probably by an earthquake. The towers are in general about 25 feet square, projecting about 14 feet from a curtain varying in length according to the nature of the ground, and 8 or 10 feet in thickness. The masonry was not in general such as has been described at the towers near the gate of Megalopolis, but, as in most Greek works of defence, consisted of an exterior and interior facing of that kind of masonry filled up with rubble.
In describing Messene, Pausanias first mentions the Agora, which contained a fountain called Arsinoe, supplied by a subterraneous canal from the source named Clepsydra. In the Agora, probably in the centre, was a statue of Zeus Soter. The various temples, which he then proceeds to enumerate, either surrounded the Agora, or were in its immediate neighbourhood. These were temples of Poseidon and Aphrodite; a marble statue of the mother of the gods, the work of Damophon, who also made the statue of Artemis Laphria; a temple of Eileithyia, a sacred building of the Curetes, and a sanctuary of Demeter, containing statues of the Dioscuri. But the temple of Asclepius contained the greatest number of statues, all of which were made by Damophon. The temple of Messene contained her statue in gold and Parian marble, while the back part was adorned with pictures representing the Messenian heroes and kings. A building, called Hierosythium, contained statues of all the gods worshipped by the Greeks. Pausanias next mentions the gymnasium, with statues made by Aegyptian artists, a pillar bearing a figure of Aethidas in relief, and the monument of Aristomenes, - the stadium containing a brazen statue of Aristomenes; and lastly, the theatre, with the adjoining temple of Serapis and Isis. The fountain called Clepsydra occurs in ascending to the summit of Ithome. On the summit was a temple of Zeus Ithomatas; and an annual festival, called Ithomaea, was celebrated in honour of the god. (Paus. iv. 31. § 6 - iv. 33. § 2.)
The Agora must have stood near the modern village of Mavromati, in the neighbourhood of which most of the foundations of the ancient buildings are found. The rivulet, which now runs unconfined through the village, was in ancient times conducted through a subterraneous canal, and formed the fountain Arsinoe mentioned above. The modern village has derived its name from the spring, - Mavromati meaning Black Spring or Black Eye. South of the site of the Agora are the ruins of the stadium, of which the upper or circular end and more than half of one of the sides still remain. The rivulet of Mavromati now runs through the length of the stadium. The stadium was surrounded by a colonnade, which was double at the upper end: here the lower parts of the columns are in their original places; there were about twenty in each row, 1 foot 10 inches in diameter, with Doric flutings. Part of the colonnade, on the right side of the stadium, is likewise in its place, and on the left side is the foundation of a public edifice, where are many pieces of columns of the same description as the colonnade round the stadium. Perhaps this was the Hierothysium. The stone seats of the stadium did not extend its whole length, but about two-thirds only; at the circular end, they are most perfect. (Leake.) Immediately south of the stadium is a wall, which appears to have been part of the walls of the city. In this wall a small temple is built, like a kind of tower. Between the stadium and the village of Mavromati, to the west of the rivulet, are the remains of a small theatre, about 60 feet in diameter. North of the stadium the slope is divided into terraces, of which the supporting walls still remain. Here some of the temples mentioned by Pausanias probably stood.
In ascending Mount Ithome, there is about half way up a terrace of considerable size, which commands a fine view of the Messenian gulf. Here the French Commission discovered some ruins overgrown with shrubs, which appear to have been an Ionic temple facing the east, containing a porch with two columns and a cella. This was probably a temple of Artemis, as an inscription here found contains the names of Messenians, who had held the priesthood of Artemis Limnatis, and the remains of the statue discovered in the cella appear to be those of this goddess. Below the temple are two smaller terraces ; and 60 feet further sideways, WSW. of the temple, is a kind of grotto cut out of the rock, with a portico, of which there are remains of five pillars. This was, perhaps, intended to receive the water of the fountain Clepsydra, which Pausanias mentions in his ascent to the summit of the mountain. The summit itself is a small flat surface, extending from SE. to NW. On the northern and eastern sides the wall runs along the edge of the perpendicular cliffs, and some remains of a more ancient masonry may be perceived, which probably belonged to the earlier fortifications of Messene. At the northern and broader end of the summit are the deserted buildings of the monastery of Vurkano; this was undoubtedly the site of the temple of Zeus Ithomatas. There is a magnificent view from the summit. Along the northern boundary of the horizon the Lycaean range extends ; to the east are seen the mountains now named Makryplai, which unite with the range of Taygetum; to the north-west the sea-coast between the rivers Cyparisseeis and Neda is visible; while to the south the mouth of the Pamisus and the Messenian gulf are spread open to view.
The similarity of Ithome to Acrocorinthus is noticed by Strabo (viii. p. 361). He observes, that both are lofty and precipitous mountains, overhanging their respective cities, but connected with them by a common line of fortifications. Messene continued to exist in the later times of the Roman empire, as we learn from inscriptions ; but in the middle ages it had ceased to be a place of any importance; and hence the ancient remains have been less disturbed by the hands of man than in most other parts of Greece.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
ITHOMI (Acropolis) MESSINIA
Ithome. A fortress of Messenia, on a mountain of the same name. It was celebrated for the long and obstinate defence (ten years) which the Messenians there made in their last revolt against the Spartans. The mountain was said to have derived its name from Ithome, one of the nymphs that nourished Zeus. On the summit was the altar of Zeus Ithometes, to whom the mountain was especially dedicated. Strabo compares the Messenian Acropolis to the Acrocorinthus, being situated, like that citadel, on a lofty and steep mountain, enclosed by fortified lines which connected it with the town. Hence these were justly deemed the two strongest places in the Peloponnesus. When Philip, the son of Demetrius, was planning the conquest of the peninsula with Demetrius of Pharos, the latter advised him to seize first the horns of the heifer, which would secure to him possession of the animal. By these enigmatical expressions he designated the Peloponnesus and the two strongholds above mentioned. Remains of the ancient fortress still exist, the towers being magnificent specimens of military architecture and engineering.
This text is cited Sep 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
ANDROUSSA (Small town) MESSINIA
Androusa is a small town between contemporary Messini and the ancient one, built on the highlands, with a view of the Messinian valley.
It was founded by Goulielmo Villeardouino and constituted a base for the Hegemony and the Courts of justice, as well as a recreation area for the Frank Knights during the domination by the Franks(1205-1430).
In the mid 13th century Villeardouinos built its castle, remnants of which are still found today, which was abandoned during the period of the Second Turkish rule(1715-1821).In 1308 it became the base of the Episcopal with the Decree of Patriarch Athanasios (1304-1310) who was from Androusa. It developed as a big agricultural centre passing from the Franks to the Navarrae and from the Byzantines to the Turks and constituted one of the 24 provinces of Morea. During the Turkish rule, many Greeks from Androusa became guerrillas, fighting for freedom, while the bishop of Androusa, Joseph, became the first Minister of Education and Religion of the newly established Greek Country after the Revolution of 1821.
Today it is a honorary municipality and constitutes an agricultural centre for the area where oil, figs, raisins and wine are widely produced. The Byzantine monuments of the area, like the byzantine castle, the Monastery (for men) and the church of St. Samarina, as well as the ancient reservoir which are an example of its historical passage through the byzantine years, are an attraction for many visitors every year.
This text is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.
MELIGALAS (Small town) MESSINIA
Meligalas constitutes the agricultural centre of Upper Messinia and is found in the centre of its fertile and all green valley, in the area where according to the ancient, 2nd century A.D. tradition, the king and queen of Messinia Polycaon and Meropi had their base.
During the 11th century B.C., that’s where the small Kingom (=polisma) of King Kresfondi and his queen Meropi was created and where, in 459 B.C, was a fierce battle between Spartans and Messinians who made a heroic exit from the Acropolis of Ithomi. The first settlement in the area of the contemporary Meligalas was built during the decay of Byzantio and it had been a fief of the Byzantine lord Meligala after whom it was also named.
As a town, it developed during the domination by the Franks and the Eneti through which the promotion of the agricultural products of Upper Messinia took place.
The bridge of Mavrozoumena is a monument of this era which was built in the 4th and restored in the 12th century A.D.
Meligalas took part in the Revolution of 1821 with the recruiting of men and the offering of provisions.
Today, it constitutes an administrative and commercial centre of the area of Upper Messinia.
This text is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.
MESSINI (Town) MESSINIA
The contemporary town has 7000 inhabitants and it’s built on the right bank of the river Pamisos where «Makaria Ge» used to be in antiquity. The surrouniding area has been inhabited since the Protohellenic Era (2600-2200 B.C), as the findings in the area Mexa of Bouka prove. It was inhabited in the Late Hellenic Era (1580-1120 B.C) too as the chambered tombs which are dug in the peremeter of the hill, prove. In 900 A.D. it is built by the Melissinous where «Panigyristra» is today. The flooded river of Pamisos around Melissopyrgos gives the impression of an island which gives Messini its nickname; «Nisi» (=island).
This nickname first appears in texts written during the Frank domination (1205-1430) and it’s kept until today. During the french chronicle of Moreas, «Nisi» is mentioned as the favourite place of the legendary Frank-Greek the Velleardouini Princess Isabella, the owner of Morias, known as Princess Izambo.
In 1770, the last action of the Orlof revolutionary actions is recorded. The remnants of Melissopyrgos are blown up and the last fighters, under the leadership of Yiannis (John) Mavromichalis, like George Flessas and John Kolokotronis, grandfathers of the Heroes of the 1821 Revolution Papaflessas and Kolokotronis, met a tragic but heroic death.
During the Revolution in 1821, Nisi participates with Kalamata, shares the expenses for the organisation and the training of the army, while in 1825, it will be completely destroyed by Ibrahem Pasha. In 1833, the Episcopal of Messini is founded and in 1867 the city is officially named «Messini».
The contemporary city bases its economy on agriculture. Oil, raisins, potatoes and early vegetables are grown, while the area is rapidly developing in terms of tourism with the creation of infrastructure at the beaches of «Bouka», Analipsi and Velika.
This extract is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.
A titular see, suffragan to Corinth.
Under this name at least, the city dates only from the fourth century B.C. When
Epaminondas had crushed the Spartans at Leuctra,
he recalled the scattered Messenians and caused them to build, on the slopes of
Mount Ithome, a new capital
which they called Messene (370 B.C.). The fortified walls surrounding this city
were over five and a half miles in length, and were accounted the best in Greece.
The portion of them which still remains justifies this reputation.
Christianity early took root there, though only a few of its bishops are known. At the beginning of the tenth century the “Notitia episcopatuum” of Leo the Wise gives Messene as an independent archbishopric; and the same is true for the beginning of the fourteenth century. As this diocese does not figure in the “Notitia” of the fifteenth century, it may be assumed that it had then ceased to exist.
The little village of Mavromati, now stands upon the ruins of ancient Messene.
S. Vailhe, ed.
Transcribed by: Anthony J. Stokes
This extract is cited June 2003 from The Catholic Encyclopedia, New Advent online edition URL below.
MELIGALAS (Small town) MESSINIA
The chief town of Upper Messenia, already occupied in prehistoric times. Not far to the W is the Mavrozoumenos Bridge, just above the confluence of the Leukasia and Amphitos (Vivari) forming the Pamisos river. The triple bridge spans the two streams and runs back as a causeway on the low-lying tongue of land between them. There are seven arches and one rectangular opening, which is ancient. Below the Turkish masonry, the foundations of the piers and six courses of one arch are also ancient; the stones are not voussoirs but are corbeled to the arch shape.
M. H. Mc Allister, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
MESSINI (Ancient city) ITHOMI
The name Messene anciently referred to the area of Messenia (Hom. Od. 21.15), and only gradually came to denote the city founded after the battle of Leuktra. The city was in ancient times as it is today called Ithome, and lies in and around the modern town of Mavromati. The building of the city was begun in early 379 (Paus. 4.27.9), and Messene was stable enough to take part in the battle of Mantinea in 362 on the Theban side (Xen. Hell. 7.5.5). Never strong enough by itself to withstand Spartan hostility, it later sided with Philip (Paus. 4.28.2), who increased Messenian territory by adding Denthaliatis and the area from Pherai to Leuktron (Polyb. 9.28.7, Strab. 8.4.6). Messene remained more or less allied to Macedon into the 3d c. About 244 the city formed an alliance with the Aitolian League, but fear of Kleomenes brought it closer to the Achaian League (223-222), which in turn brought about plundering by the Aitolians in 220 (Polyb. 4.3.5-6.12). Civil unrest in 215-214 brought the intervention of Philip V (Polyb. 7.10-14) and a return to the Aitolian League (Polyb. 9.30.6). It was attacked by Nabis of Sparta in 201 (Polyb. 16.13.3, 16.16-17), then allied itself with Antiochos in 192 against the Achaian League and Rome. After the defeat of Antiochos Messene was compelled to join the Achaian League (Livy 36.3 1.1-9) from which it revolted in 183/182 (Polyb. 23.12). Forced to rejoin the league it nonetheless sent no troops to the war against Rome in 146 (Polyb. 38.16.3). Prosperous but not powerful thereafter (IG V 1.1432-33), the last emperor it honored inscriptionally was Constantine (IG V 1.1420), though sculptural finds date even from the 5th c. Pausanias (4.31.4-33.4) visited the area in the 2d c. A.D.
The glory of Messene is its walls, the best preserved in Greece, and the strongest of antiquity (Paus. 4.31.5). They enclose an area of 9 km, including the summit of Mt. Ithome, are constructed entirely of stone, and consist of a curtain wall (2-2.5 m thick) and towers, square for the most part, at various intervals. They are best preserved in the N and W sides. Four gates are known, of which the Arkadian on the N is the best preserved and the architecturally most remarkable. It consists of an outer gate (5.32 m wide) flanked by towers (6.5 m wide) opening into a nearly circular area (19.7 m wide) which could be controlled by soldiers standing on the walls above. There are two niches on the N side of the court, one recording repairs by Q. Plotius Euphemion. Some scholars have felt that the gate may be later than the rest of the walls, though there is dispute even as to whether the main part of the wall was constructed in the early 4th c. or later, perhaps in the late 3d.
The acropolis, i.e. the peaks of Mt. Ithome, contains remains of earlier walls dating either from the third Messenian War or from the foundation of the city in the 4th c. The Sanctuary of Zeus Ithomatas is now covered by the abandoned Vourkano monastery. On the slopes of Ithome are the remains of the Temple of Artemis Limnatis of the Ionic order (17.2 x 10 m) and a spring, identified by some with the Klepsydra. Others identify the Klepsydra with the spring in the center of Mavromati.
Below the modern village there is to be found a Sanctuary of Asklepios (epigraphically assured), a site which was for many years identified with the agora: the agora remains to be located. The Aesklepieion consists of a large court surrounded on all four sides by stoas with an internal colonnade (dimensions: 66.8 x 71.8 m measuring from the rear wall of the stoa). In the middle of the court on the N-S axis, and facing due east, there are the foundations of a Hellenistic temple of Doric order (13.6 x 27.9 m) of excellent workmanship which replaces an earlier, 4th c. temple. The altar, constructed in two chronological phases, lies to the E. The rear walls of the stoa are pierced in a number of places to allow access to rooms connected with the worship of Asklepios. The E wall is bisected by propylaea, to the N of which is a small theater; to the S, entrance is gained to a square room with benches running around three sides, formerly identified with the synedrion, but more likely to have been a library. On the W side there are five small rooms, all apparently devoted to religious purposes, the northern-most of which was a small Temple of Artemis Orthia. It is divided into three sections by two sets of two columns on either side of the entrance. The N wall of the court contains three stairways, the middle one of rather monumental proportions, leading to an upper level, on which was the sebasteion, the area in which the worship of the Roman emperors took place. In the NE corner of the stoa there is a small room, perhaps originally designed as a fountain-house, but in Imperial times used for the display of a large statue. Outside the S wall, and not integrally connected with the interior, are to be found a small heroon (with four graves) and a house with a peristyle court. Excavation in the area of the Asklepieion continues. Other insignificant remains in the vicinity include a stadium and a theater.
W. F. Wyatt, Jr., ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Sep 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains 26 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!