Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for wider area of: "AVLONAS Municipality TRIFYLIA" .
AVLON (Ancient city) TRIFYLIA
Aulon. A valley in the north-west of Messenia, upon the confines of Elis and Messenia, and through which there was a route into the Lepreatis. Pausanias speaks of a temple of Asclepius Aulonius in what is called Aulon, which he places near the river Neda; but whether there was a town of the name of Aulon is uncertain. The French Commission suppose that there was a town of this name, near the entrance of the defile which conducts from Cyparissia to the mouth of the Neda, and believe that its position is marked by some ruins near the sea on the right bank of the river Cyparissus.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
A district and town on the borders of Elis and Messenia with a temple of Asclepius.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!