EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 30 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for wider area of: "ALEXANDROUPOLI Province EVROS" .


Information about the place (30)

Ancient cities non located

KAVISSOS (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Kavissos

Since ancient times there has been disagreement on the location of this Homeric city.


Educational institutions WebPages

MESSIMVRIA (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Mesembria

(following URL information only in Greek)


Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

DORISKOS (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Doriscus

  Doriskos. a coast town of Thrace, in a plain west of the river Hebrus, which is hence called the plain of Doriscus (Dopiskos pedion). During the expedition of Darius the place was taken and fortified by the Persians; and in this plain Xerxes reviewed his forces before commencing his march against Greece. In the time of Livy it appears to have been only a fort - castellum. The neighbourhood of Doriscus is now called the plain of Romigik.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


MESSIMVRIA (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Mesembria

  Dor. Mesambria: Eth. Mesembrianos. An important Greek city in Thrace, situated on the coast of the Euxine and at the foot of Mt. Haemus (Scymn. Ch. 738); consequently upon the confines of Moesia, in which it is placed by Ptolemy (iii. 10. § 8). Strabo (vii. p. 319) relates that it was a colony of the Megarians, and that it was originally called Menebria (Menebria) after its founder Menas ; Stephanus B. (s. v.) says that its original name was Melsembria (Melsembria), from its founder Melsas; and both writers state that the termination -bria was the Thracian word for town. According to the Anonymous Periplus of the Euxine Mesembria was founded by Chalcedonians at the time of the expedition of Darius against Scythia; but according to Herodotus (vi. 33) it was founded a little later, after the suppression of the Ionic revolt, by Byzantine and Chalcedonian fugitives. These statements may, however, be reconciled by supposing that the Thracian. town was originally colonized by Megarians, and afterwards received additional colonists from Byzantiurn and Chalcedon. Mesembria was one of the cities, forming the Greek Pentapolis on the Euxine, the other four being Odessus, Tomi, Istriani and Apolloniatae. Mesembria is rarely mentioned in history, but it continued to exist till a late period. (Mela, ii. 2; Plin. iv. 11. s. 18 ; Ptol. I. c.; Tab. Peut.)

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


SALI (Ancient city) EVROS

Sale

Sale a town on the S. coast of Thrace, near the W. mouth of the Hebrus, and nearly equidistant from Zone and Doriscus. It is mentioned by Herodotus (vii. 59) as a Samothracian colony.


TRAIANOPOLI (Ancient city) EVROS

Trajanopolis

  Traianopolis. An important town in the S. of Thrace, which was probably founded by or in honour of the emperor Trajan, about the time when Plotinopolis was founded, to perpetuate the name of his wife Plotina. Its exact site appears to be somewhat doubtful. Some authorities describe it as situated on the right bank of the Hebrus, near the pass in the range of Mount Rhodope, through which that river flows, and about 40 miles from its mouth. Now this is the site of the modern Orikhova, with which accordingly it is by some identified. It would be difficult, however, to reconcile this with the various distances given in the Itineraries: e. g. Trajanopolis is stated to be 9000 paces from Tempyra, and 29,000 from Cypsela; whereas the site above mentioned is nearly equidistant from those assigned to Tempyra and Cypsela, being, however, more distant from the former. But this is only one example out of many showing how extremely imperfect is our knowledge of the geography of Thrace, both ancient and modern. In the map of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge Trajanopolis is placed on the Egnatian Way at a considerable distance W. of the Hebrus, and at a point which fulfils tolerably well the conditions of distance from the two places above mentioned.
  Trajanopolis became the capital of the province of Rhodope, and continued to be a place of importance until the fourth century. It is remarkable, however, that it is not mentioned by Ammianus in his general description of Thrace; according to him, the chief cities of Rhodope were Maximianopolis, Maroneia, and Aenus.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities

DORISKOS (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Doriscus

A town in Thrace at the mouth of the Hebrus, in the midst of an extensive plain of the same name, where Xerxes reviewed his vast forces.


MESSIMVRIA (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Mesembria

A celebrated town of Thrace on the Pontus Euxinus, and at the foot of Mount Haemus, founded by the inhabitants of Chalcedon and Byzantium in the time of Darius Hystaspis, and hence called a colony of Megara, since those two towns were founded by the Megarians.


Local government Web-Sites

ALEXANDROUPOLI (Municipality) EVROS

Municipality of Alexandroupolis


Development Company of Alexandroupolis


FERES (Municipality) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Municipality of Feres


Municipality of Traianoupolis


Local government WebPages

Alexandroupolis

Alexandroupolis today is modern town that is continuously developing. The town has more then 50.000 inhabitants and is the capitol of the county. Alexandroupolis is build by the sea and has a coast- line, which is 35km long. The town is accessible by airplane, train, car and ship.


Avantas

After the Byzantine castles of Potamos the road is leading to another small village called Avandas. At the northern part of the village, on a steep rock and next to the position where the road is reaching its most narrow point and the locals call it 'Tempi' you can see the remaining of a second Byzantine fortress.


DORISKOS (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Doriscos

After the settlement of Monasterake, right to the road that is leading from Alexandrpoupolis to Feres and on the road that is leading to the Evros delta at the location that is known under the name Saragia rises a rocky angle of elevation, which is supervising the flat area around the delta. Here is the place where the ancient city of Doriskos is located, according to Herodutus this is also the place where Xerxes the leader of the Persian army in 480 BC counted his men and his fleet in his campaign agents the Hellenic army, whilst Dareius in 512 BC settled a garrison. The hill of Doriskos is presenting habitation since the Neolithic until the Hellenistic ages. A minor excavation has brought to the light a part of the wall, which is constructed from porous stone.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.


FERES (Municipality) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Kirki

At the exit of the Ag.Theodoroi ravine you can find Kerke, a small village that is surrounded by hills. This settlement is well known thanks to the tasteful wine that is produced in the region and the taverns. The name Kerke comes originally from the Turkish word kirk-ka, which means translated to Greek the forty inns or the nice inns, in the past when the country was under the domination of the Ottoman empire this settlement was used as replenishment station on the way to Konstantinoples. At a small hill close to the settlement a prehistoric Thracian open-air sanctuary was found, also at the archaeological museum of Komotene, you can see a rock with incised traces, which is from the area of the settlement and it’s dated from the end of the bronze age and the beginning of the iron age.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.


MAKRI (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Makre

Twelve kilometers to the west from Alexandroupolis you can find Makre with its graphic little harbor that is located in an area called Platanos. Close to the beach is a natural wodge with a hillock on its top. Inside the rock is a cave that is known to the local people as the cave of the cyclope, which is presenting tracks and findings from the prehistoric until the Byzantine ages. Around the cave you can see chiseled stairs and other manufacturing. The excavation that is performed the last few years on the hillock, have brought to the light a very unique Neolithic settlement (4500- 3000 BC) which is considered as one of the most important in the Balkans. It is a marvelous resort, where every visitor can experience

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains images.


MESSIMVRIA (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Mesambrea or Zone

The excavation of this area showed us that originally on this position used to be an early iron-age settlement that was inhabited by Thracians. At the end of the 7th BC century settlers from Samothraki founded a town that was called Parea. The new settlers lived in harmony with the Thracians till the 1st AC century, where the area was abandoned.


SALI (Ancient city) EVROS

Sali

(Following URL information in Greek only)


Sykorachi

Sekorachi (according to the locals the name means corrals on the ridge). The main characteristics of the area the excellent climate, the green hills the crystal clear waters and the taverns. The area is perfect for mountaineering and hunting.


TRAIANOPOLI (Ancient city) EVROS

Traeanoupolis

The ruins of an important Roman city named Traeanoupolis, are located 14-km to the east of Alexandroupolis and south of the nearest village that is called Loutra. The city was founded in 98 - 117 AC from the emperor Marcus Ulpius Traegnus and is build on the main axis of the Via Egnatia, the visitors can see the remains of the city, right to the road that is leading from Loutra to Monasterake.
Presumable this place was chosen because of the spa, which are active until today. The Romans kept the Greek political organization. According to epigraphic and monetary sources we know about the existence of the Holly Senate, the municipality and the races. Already from the 2nd AC century we know that a Christian community is making its appearance. In 161 AC Agia Glekerea died a martyr to her faith because she refused to worship Zeus.
From the 4th AC century the city becomes a metropolis. The city was abandoned after several disasters that happened between 1343- 1347 AC.
The wall of the city according to the information of Prokopius was repaired by emperor Justus in the 6 AC century unfortunately only a few parts of the wall are remaining and these are in bad conditions. Behind the Hanna you can find baths, which are there from the ages of the Ottoman Empire.
You can also see ruins of church on the hill of Agios Georgios, presumable an Acropolis of the Roman settlement, ruins of a Turkish opium den known as Esaklar, which was described from the Turkish traveler Evligia Tselembe in 1668.
Recently a tomb with gems from the 1st AC century was found in the surrounding area of the city, nowadays the gems are exhibited in the archaeological museum of Komotene where you also can see a solar watch, which is offered to the nine muses and two marble icons from the 11th- 12th century, all those exhibits are coming from the same area.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains images.


Perseus Project

DORISKOS (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Doriscus, Doriskos


Perseus Project index

KAVISSOS (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Cabesus


MESSIMVRIA (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Present location

Mesembria

The archaeological site is located on the mouth of the stream, which was formerly called Sapli-Dere. In the area, there is a valley bounded by Ismaros and the country of Maronia to the W, by Mt. Zonaia to the E and by the "Korpiles Strait" to the N.


SALI (Ancient city) EVROS

It is located to the north of the excavated Roman tombs, which are situated to the south of the city of Alexandroupolis.


The Catholic Encyclopedia

TRAIANOPOLI (Ancient city) EVROS

Trajanopolis

  Titular metropolitan see of Rhodope. The city owes its foundation or restoration to Trajan.
  In 1564 Gabriel is called Metropolitan of Trajanopolis, that is of Maronia, which proves that Trajanopolis was then destroyed and that the title of metropolitan had passed to the neighbouring city of Maronia. About 640 Trajanopolis had two suffragan sees; at the beginning of the tenth century, seven. St. Glyceria, a martyr of the second century, venerated on 13 May, was born there. The town was captured and pillaged in 1206 by Joannitza, King of the Bulgarians.
  The site of Trajanopolis was discovered by Viquesnel and Dumont on the right bank near the mouth of the Maritza, not far from Ouroundjik.

S. Vailhe, ed.
Transcribed by: Thomas M. Barrett
This extract is cited June 2003 from The Catholic Encyclopedia, New Advent online edition URL below.


The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites

Traianopolis

  The ancient capital of Rhodope, founded by Trajan on the site of the earlier town of Doriskos. Darius left a small garrison at a fort there after his war with the Scythians. At Doriskos, Xerxes gathered men and supplies in preparation for the invasion of Greece. Even though the surrounding territory returned to Thracian control, the fort was still held by the Persians in the time of Herodotos, later in the 5th c. It was garrisoned by both Philip II and Philip V of Macedon. The site has been identified with an acropolis near Loutros at the edge of the high ground W of the Evros (ancient Hebros) delta. In addition to prehistoric remains, marble architectural fragments and inscriptions have been found, the latter including a precinct boundary stone at the foot of the acropolis. Dumont reported extensive remains of houses and streets on the plain near the sea, but no sign of monumental public buildings.

M. H. Mc Allister, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.