Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "TOPIROS
Information about the place (2)
Local government WebPages
The newly-established Municipality of Topeiros owes its name to a
city which existed on The Egnatia Road, during the Roman Ages, in the same area
in which the Municipality extends today.
Approaching the bridge over the Nestos river, in the area between
the villages of Toxotes and Paradeisos, 14 Km west of Xanthi, you can see the
remains of the ancient city of Topeiros, where monuments of old Christian and
Byzantine ages, mostly parts of Churches and Monasteries, have been revealed and
conserved. It was established in the 1st century A.C. and it was the Bishop' s
See from the 5th to 8th century. Recent clear evidence for the Bishopric of Topeiros
comes from the 1st early Byzantine Ages, specifically from 4th and 5th century.
As a consequence So, Bishop's names are reported in the records of the Third and
Forth Ecumenical Synods.
At the end of the 4th century, Topeiros gained distinction from Traianoupoli's
Metropolitan Bishop, under whose domination remained for at least 900 ages. During
the 2nd century A.C. the city of Topeiros had its own coins (Proof of self rule
and wealth). With the division of the Roman Empire into East and West, the area
of Xanthi with the city Topeiros as capital, belongs to the East Empire and it
is its western boundary. In 549 A.C. during the Justinian Empire the city was
conquered by the Slavs, who totally destroyed it. 2 years later, Justinian rebuilt
it and surrounded it with stronger walls (the remains of these awlls are across
the army camp of Toxotes). The city has historical presence until 812 A.C. when
destroyed by the Bulgarian Tzar "Croumo".
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Toperis, (or Topirus Topeiros). A town in the SW. of Thrace, a little
NE. from the mouth of the Nestus, and a short distance W. of Abdera. In the time
of Procopius (B. G. iii. 38) it was the first of the maritime cities of Thrace,
and is described as distant 12 days' journey from Byzantium. Very little is known
about this place. In later times it was called Rhusion (Rhousion, Hierocl. l.
c.; cf. Aposposm. Geo. in Hudson. iv. p. 42; and Anna Comn. p. 212), and was the
seat of a bishopric. (Cone. Chalced.) Justinian rebuilt its walls, which had been
demolished, and made them stronger than before. (Procop. de Aed. iv. 11.) According
to Paul Lucas and Boudoue, the modern Tosbur occupies its site; but Lapie identifies
it with Kara-Giuenzi.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.