Listed 5 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "ATRAX
Information about the place (5)
The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites
A city of Pelasgiotis (Strab. 9.441), 10 Roman miles from Larissa
(Livy 32.15.8) by the Peneios (Strab. 9.438), evidently prosperous from at least
the 5th c. It issued coinage en. 400 B.C. It had a Macedonian garrison and was
besieged by T. Quinctius Flamininus in 198 B.C. but he failed to take it, as did
Antiochus III in 191 B.C. when it was a Roman stronghold (Livy 32.15.8, 17.4-18;
Atrax is commonly now identified with a site (Palaiokastro) on the
right bank of the Peneios near modern Alifaka, ca. 23 km W of Larissa. The walls
of the site have a circuit of about 3 km, surrounding an acropolis peak (265 m)
which is a N spur of modern Mt. Dhovroutsi, and coming down the hill to the river
plain, where the wall is poorly preserved. A cross wall divided the circuit into
an upper and lower city. The original wall was built of rough stones and was about
3 to 4 m thick; it may have been Mycenaean. In Hellenistic times (?) this wall
was repaired with rectangular blocks and the wall between the acropolis and city,
immediately below the acropolis, was provided with five towers. The wall was again
improved in Byzantine times. In the lower city architectural fragments are frequent.
By the river are a number of sarcophagi. Some ancient objects have come from this
site, including a 6th c. B.C. marble head.
Six km W of the site by Koutsochiro, a Chapel of Haghias Nikolaus
stands on a mound. Inscriptions of Atrax were found here. This site may have been
a Temple of Poseidon, and the area seems to belong naturally to the Alifaka site,
so supporting the Atrax-Alifaka site identification.
Leake and later Edmonds favored placing Atrax at Gunitza, where a
large wall circuit of rough stones climbs the steep hill on the left bank of the
Peneios just as it enters the E Thessalian plain. Stahlin placed Argura here.
Lack of Classical and Hellenistic sherds, however, have led to the belief this
was not a city in Greek times. For the Alifaka site Edmonds suggested Phakion.
T. S. Mackay, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Perseus Project index
Total results on 23/4/2001: 15
Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities
A town in Pelasgiotis in Thessaly, inhabited by the Perrhaebi, so called from the mythical Atrax, son of Peneus and Bura, and father of Caeneus and Hippodamia. Hence Caeneus is called Atracides, and Hippodamia, Atracis.
- Perseus: Harry Thurston Peck, Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities (1898)
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Atrax (Atrax, also Atrakia, Steph. B.; Ptol. iii. 13. § 42: Eth. Atrakios),
a Perrhaebian town in Thessaly, described by Livy as situated above the river
Peneius, at the distance of about 10 miles from Larissa. (Liv. xxxii. 15, comp.
xxxvi. 13.) Strabo says that the Peneius passed by the cities of Tricca, Pelinnaeum
and Parcadon, on its left, on its course to Atrax and Larissa. (Strab. ix. p.
438.) Leake places Atrax on a height upon the left bank of the Peneius, opposite
the village of Gunitza. On this height, which is now called Sidhiro-peliko (Sidepopelikos),
a place where chippings of iron are found, Leake found stones and fragments of
ancient pottery, and in one place foundations of an Hellenic wall. (Leake, Northern
Greece, vol. iii. p. 368, vol. iv. p. 292.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited July 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)