A town of Thessaly, in the district Phthiotis, near Pharsalus. It was here that Quintius Flamininus halted at the end of the first day's march from Pherae towards Scotussa, in B.C. 197. Leake places it at the village of Tjangli, where he found the ruined walls of an ancient city. A long and narrow table-summit formed the citadel, of which the lower courses of the walls still exist in their whole circuit. The town walls are still better preserved, and are extant in some parts on the eastern side to the height of 18 or 20 feet. Here also are two door-ways still perfect.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!