EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 27 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for wider area of: "SOUTH PELION Municipality MAGNESSIA" .


Information about the place (27)

Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

AFETES (Ancient port) SOUTH PELION

Aphetae

  Aphetae (Aphetai or Aphetai: Eth. Aphetaios), a port of Magnesia in Thessaly, said to have derived its name from the departure of the Argonauts from it. The Persian fleet occupied the bay of Aphetae, previous to the battle of Artemisium, from which Aphetae was distant 80 stadia, according to Herodotus. Leake identifies Aphetae with the modern harbour of Trikeri, or with that between the island of Palea Trikeri and the main. (Herod. vii. 193, 196, viii. 4; Strab. p. 436; Apoll. Rhod. i. 591; Steph. B. s. v.; Leake, Northern Greece, vol. iv. p. 397, Demi of Attica, p. 243, seq.)

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited July 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


MITHONI (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

Methone

A town of Thessaly, mentioned by Homer (Il. ii. 716) as belonging to Philoctetes. Later writers describe it as a town of Magnesia, but we have no further particulars respecting it.


OLIZON (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

Olizon

  Eth. Olizonios. An ancient town of Magnesia in Thessaly, mentioned by Homer, who gives it the epithet of rugged. (Hom. Il. ii. 717.) It possessed a harbour (Scylax, p. 25); and as it was opposite Artemisium in Euboea (Plut. Them. 8), it is placed by Leake on the isthmus connecting the peninsula of Trikhiri with the rest of Magnesia.


SIPIAS (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

Sepias

A promontory of Magnesia, opposite the island of Sciathos, and forming the SE. extremity of Thessaly. It is now called C. St. George. It is celebrated in mythology as the spot where Peleus laid in wait for Thetis, and from whence he carried off the goddess (Eurip. Androm. 1266) and in history as the scene of the great shipwreck of the fleet of Xerxes.


SPALAFTHRA (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

Spalathra

Spalauthra, Spalethre, Spalathron, Eth. Spalathraios. A town of Magnesia, in Thessaly, upon the Pagasaean gulf. It is conjectured that this town is meant by Lycophron (899), who describes Prothous, the leader of the Magnetes in the Iliad, as ho ek Palauthron (Spalauthron).


Cicynethus

  Cicynethus (Kikunethos: trikeri), a small island off the coast of Thessaly in the Pagasaean gulf. (Scylax, p. 29; Artemiod. ap. Strab. ix. p. 436; Leake, Northern Greece, vol. iv. p. 396.)


Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities

SIPIAS (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

Sepias

Now St. George. A promontory in the southeast of Thessaly, in the district Magnesia, on which a great part of the fleet of Xerxes was wrecked.


Local government Web-Sites

ARGALASTI (Municipal unit) SOUTH PELION

Municipality of Argalasti


MILIES (Municipal unit) SOUTH PELION

Municipality of Milies


Non-profit organizations WebPages

Agios Georgios Nilias


CHORTO (Settlement) SOUTH PELION

KALAMOS (Settlement) SOUTH PELION

MILIES (Small town) SOUTH PELION

PALTSI (Settlement) SOUTH PELION

TRIKERI (Small town) SOUTH PELION

Perseus Project index

AFETES (Ancient port) SOUTH PELION

Aphetae

Total results on 9/8/2001: 29


OLIZON (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

Olizon

Total results on 13/8/2001: 7


Present location

EOLI (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

It has been suggested that the ancient city of Eoli was situated in the Katigiorgis location on the Sepias cape or in the valley of Boufa, near the sanctuary of Apollo Koropaios.


KOROPI (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

Paleopyrgos


SIPIAS (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

Theotokos


The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites

KOROPI (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

Korope

  City and site of the oracular Shrine of Apollo Koropaios. The god was one of the Magnesian triad; the sanctuary was in existence from at least archaic times. The city was incorporated into Demetrias on its foundation in 293 B.C., but the oracle continued to function through Roman times. The site is located on the right bank of the (modern) river Bufa, ca. 20 km S of Volo on the shore road which runs along the inner coast of Magnesia. A small modern settlement is presently known as Korope. The site was identified in 1882 by the discovery of a decree of Demetrias relating to the management of the shrine. In 1906 and 1907 the area of the sanctuary was discovered and partially excavated. This is on level ground above the modern road and just below a hill called Petralona. The excavation has now entirely filled in. Parts of the base of the NW corner of the peribolos (?) wall constructed of rough stones was found, and joining the W wall another wall (E end not found) parallel to the N peribolos wall and 8 m away, perhaps belonging to a stoa. Numerous terracotta figurines and black-glazed and black-figure sherds of the 7th-6th c. B.C. were found, and a number of pieces of the handsomely painted archaic terracotta revetment of the temple (?) and part of the wing of a lateral acroterion, a gryphon or sphinx. Some terracottas and fragments of terracotta revetment were also found. The finds from the excavation (unpublished) are in the Volo Archaeological Museum.
  On a peak of the hill Petralona (175 m) above and ca. one km to the E of the sanctuary are traces of habitation in the form of roof tiles, sherds, etc. To the SE of the peak, at the edge of a flattish area is a semicircular retaining wall about one to two m high, built of polygonal masonry. Between the peak of the hill and the sanctuary are two ancient tombs. There is no sign of acropolis or city defense walls. The remains on the hill date from the archaic through the early Hellenistic periods. By the shore, SW of the sanctuary are remains of a Roman tomb, and a floor probably of the Roman or Christian period. Late Hellenistic and Roman sherds are commonly found in this area, indicating that the settlement of Korope moved from the hill to the shore.

T. S. Mackay, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


SIPIAS (Ancient city) SOUTH PELION

Pouri

  Modern name of a promontory and town about half way down the E coast of the Magnesian peninsula, where the main mass of Pelion juts into the sea. The cape is very likely ancient Cape Sepias, where part of Xerxes' fleet was wrecked in a storm (Hdt. 7.188; Strab. 9.443) although the identification is uncertain and disputed; Magnesia's SE cape, Haghios Georgi, now Sepias, and the whole coast between the two capes are also suggested. There was also an ancient town of Sepias, whose population was later incorporated in Demetrias (Strab. 9.443). The tombstone of a man from Sepias was discovered near modern Keramidhi.
  In the area of Pouri are some ancient landmarks and sites, none securely identified. Immediately N of the cape itself is a shallow bay (6 km wide), from Asprovrachos N to Kavos Koutsovou. The shore of the bay is formed of a steep cliff with a series of caves at sea level, almost certainly the ovens (ipnoi) of Herodotos (7.188), where some of the Persian ships were wrecked. The ships had been moored on and off a beach between Kasthanaie and Sepias; this was possibly the beach now called Koulouri to the E of modern Keramidhi and N of the ovens. Kasthanaie has frequently been identified as an ancient site NE of modern Keramidhi, on a hill which slopes to the sea. Below the hill is a shallow beach at the mouth of modern Kakorema, which may have served as a harbor. The hill is abrupt on the N and S sides, easier to the W. The acropolis was on a low hill to the W. In the 19th c. the walls were impressive. They are of good Hellenic (4th c.?) masonry. The wall circuit included the acropolis, which was cut off from the lower city by a cross wall with round towers at each end. The walls were traceable down to the point above the sea and were furnished with towers. Apparently no wall was built on the steep slope at N and E. The circuit was about half a mile. No remains of buildings are reported. The hill is presently heavily overgrown, but some parts of the wall, preserved several courses high, can be seen. On a hill near Keramidhi is an ancient necropolis.
  Other remains in the area have been reported from Tamuchari (modern Damouchari), a harbor about 11 km S of Pouri, and the site has been suggested for Kasthanaie. These ruins seem not to have been described by anyone. Hellenic and Byzantine ruins at a place called Kalyvi tou Panagiotou, near the modern town of Pouri have been reported and these have been suggested for the ancient Sepias town, but again, are nowhere described.

T. S. Mackay, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.