Listed 5 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "ALEXANDRIA TROAS
Information about the place (5)
The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites
City on a lagoon of the Aegean coast opposite Bozcaada (Tenedos).
Built by Antigonos in 310 B.C., it was called Antigonia until Lysimachos changed
its name to Alexandria. Although Strabo barely mentions the city, it must have
developed rapidly in the days of Lysimachos and was under Roman domination under
the reign of Antiochos. It was reconstructed through the efforts of Augustus,
Hadrian, and Herodes Atticus. Later it came under Byzantine rule. In the 17th
c. its ruins supplied columns for buildings in Istanbul.
A rectangular fortification wall (2500 x 1700 m) enclosed the harbor,
which was suitable for shipbuilding as well as for shelter. No trace remains of
the aqueduct built by Herodes Atticus at great expense. It has been suggested
that the bath be dated to the time of Herodes Atticus because of the resemblance
of its architectural decoration to that of his odeion in Athens. Of the theater
only the cavea is visible. The small Doric temple, the stadium, agora, and gymnasium,
all known to have existed can no longer be seen.
C. Bayburtluoglu, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.