Rhizus (Pizous), a port-town of Pontus, at the mouth of the river Rhizius, about 120 stadia to the east of the river Calus, and 30 stadia west of the mouth of the Ascurus. In the time of Procopius (Bell. Goth. iv. 2) the place had risen to considerable importance, so that Justinian surrounded it with strong fortifications. The Table mentions on its site a place under the name of Reila, which is probably only a corruption of the right name, which still exists in the form of Rizeh, though the place is also called Irrish. (Comp. Procop. de Aed. iii. 4; Ptol. v. 6. § 6.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited August 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!