Sepulchrum Euripidis (Amm. Marc. xxvii. 4. § 8; comp. Gell. xv. 20; Plut. Lycurg. 36; Vitruv. viii. 3; Plin. xxxi. 19; Itin. Hierosol.), the remarkable monument erected to Euripides in Macedonia, at the narrow gorge of Aulon or Arethusa (Besikia or Rumili Boghazi), where the mountains close upon the road. The ancients (Vitruvius, l. c.; Plin. l. c.) placed it at the confluence of two streams, of which the water of one was poisonous, the other so sweet and health-giving that travellers were wont to halt and take their meals by its currents. In the Jerusalem Itinerary, a document as late as the 13th century, it occurs as a station between Pennana and Apollonia. (Comp. Clarke's Travels, vol. viii. pp. 9-13.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited September 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!