EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 80 sub titles with search on: Local governments for wider area of: "FOKIDA Prefecture STEREA HELLAS" .


Local governments (80)

Municipalities' district offices

Agia Efthymia Community

Tel: +30 22650 67205, 67400

Agii Pantes Community

Tel: +30 22660 81201

Agios Georgios Community

Tel: +30 22650 23355

Agios Konstantinos Community

Tel: +30 22650 72432

ALEPOCHORI (Village) DORIDA

Alepochori Community

Tel: +30 22660 41641

Amfissa Community

  An ancient city, city state and home of the Esperian (western) Locris with 70,000 people (according to the Greek traveller Pausanias - A.D. 180). It owes its name either to the daughter of Makaros (son of Aiolos) Amfissa or to a Greek verb "αμφιεννυμι" (=to surround-to dress with), because it is surrounded by mountains. In 338 BC, during the Third Sacred War it was ruined by Phillip II of Macedonia. In 30 BC the city was colonised by Aitolians and became very populous. During the later Byzantine period it was renamed to Salona and at the Middle Ages it was invaded by the Franks who established the Salona Barony (Salona Barony - La-Sola, under the dynasty of Stromonkur).
  At the 1821 Struggle for Freedom, it was the first city of Roumeli to revolt under the leadership of Panourgias, Gouras and Isaiah, bishop of Salona. On March 27 Panourgias invaded the city and on April 10th Salona Fortress was invaded. Salona (Amfissa) became the capital of Eastern Terrestrial Greece following the establishment of Salona Aeropagus,where the Resolution of Eastern Terrestrial Greece Constitution was adopted.
  Today, Amfissa is the capital of Fokida department, numbering 12,000 inhabitants, centre of all Public Services. There is a modern State Hospital, a Court of First Instance, a Cultural Centre, a Prison, an Archaeological and a Cultural museum, a Public Library with 40,000 volumes which is constantly enriched, City Band and Chorus, Municipal Conservatory and Artistic Workshop, Cultural and Athletic Clubs. In the city, there are also Technical Professional Institutions (Tourism Department), Highschools, Primary Schools, Nurseries and other Educational and Professional Institutions.Despite the passage of time, there still survive traditional manufactures: Tanneries in the traditional neighbourhood of Harmena, bell and rope making industries. Amfissa is well known for its notable cultural events (Fokika, carnival). The visitors should visit the monuments of: The Annunciation Cathedral, the walls of which areadorned with mural paintings of the famous painter Spiros Papaloukas, the Salona Fortress (Orgia), the acropolis of Amfissa with ruins of all kind of architectural styles.
  Not far away, there is the "Sotiros" Church (Church of the Saviour), a magnificent piece of art, a byzantine church (11th or 12th century). At the base of Kofina hill, chiselled on cone shaped rock there is a Mycenaen tomb, "the wolf layer", "Likotripa". Roman and Byzantine mosaics, notably the Baptisery - 3rd or 4th century - and ruins of a basilica church. Finally, in Amfissa there are many old mansions and neo-classic buildings adorned with plaster decorations and beautiful wall paintings of local painters at the time. Its inhabitants' main occupation is agriculture and namely the olive-trees.
  The communities which along with the capital form the Municipality of Amfissa are: Elaionas (Topolia), a picturesque village with deep shade plane trees, with abundant spring water, a magnificent cascade and vividness, Prosilio (Segditsa), formed by three settlements, the old village, Biniani (the village in the plain) and the beautiful resort with "Panagia" Monastery, where lived as a monk for a while Kosmas Aitolos. At the site "lapsitsa" of Prosilio region there is a forest village under construction, the 21wooden houses of which are literally into the fir-trees forest, Drosochori (Kolovata) the inhabitants of which moved to Amfissa, but it is re-constructed as a magnificent resort, Agios Georgios , Agios Konstantinos and Sernikaki , three adjoining picturesque villages lying at the west of the olive-trees plain and, last, Agia Efthimia, the village of Astrapogiannos and Giannis Skarimbas, built on the ruins of Ancient Mionia.
This text is cited Sept 2003 from the WebPage of the Prefecture of Fokida


Apostolias Community

Tel: +30 22650 91192

ARTOTINA (Village) DORIDA

Artotina Community

Tel: +30 22660 51810

  Artotina (1.300 m altitude) is the "capital of Vardoussia Mountains", the biggest village of Dorida, with its alpine landscapes. It is a place for the relaxation of the visitors, as well as a place of revival of historic memory, because of Ai-Giannis Prodromos historical monastery, where lived as a monk the 1821 hero Athanasios Diakos (his cell remains intact), the bust of the hero of Alamana, the house of captain Andritsos Siafakas, the memories of the struggle leaders of Artotina Skaltsodimos, Pistiolis, Siafakas, Giannis Roukis, Gerantonou, Kaliakouda and others. There is a hostel and a Folklore Museum.
  Artotina and Athanasios Diakos quarrel on which is the native village of Fokida's son and hero of 1821 Athanasios Diakos, each village presenting its own substantiation.
This exract is cited Sept 2003 from the WebPage of the Prefecture of Fokida


Athanassios Diakos Community

Tel: +30 22650 63216

CHRYSSO (Village) PARNASSOS

DELPHI (Small town) PARNASSOS

Delphi Community

  Delphi, with a population of 1.500, is one of the most beautiful and impressing landscapes of Greece, and the centre -"omphalos "- of the world, according to the ancient myth. It was already inhabited in the prehistoric times and later -especially during the classic times- obtained great historic importance, as it has been linked with the most significant events of Greek history. Apollo, the God of catharsis and the genuine oracle, dominated earlier forms of worship in the Delphi. He taught people the "metron", that is prudence and modesty, which became the most ethical and peaceful expression of the Greek spirit. The famous Oracle of Delphi, where the god's divination was given through the mouth of Pythia, was directed by the so-called priesthood, that is priests with deep mystic education. Moreover, Delphi with the renowned Amphictyonic institution, gave the signal for friendship, brotherhood and peaceful coexistence of peoples, as a fundamental goal of the Delphic idea . A quite spectacular proof of the world-wide prestige enjoyed by the temple of the God of Light was the amount of votive offerings by leaders, towns and rich citizens, great in both quality and artistic value; unfortunately, very few of them have survived through the time.
  Today the visitor can admire various interesting architectural monuments, as, in the northwest, one of the best preserved stadium of antiquity, dating from the roman ages (a stadium had already been there since the 2nd half of the 5th century BC). The stadium hosted the Pythian games, which were very important in Greece and took place every four years. In the northeast, there is the sacred place (temple), surrounded by a wall, contains, amongst other things, the dorian Temple of Apollo (4th century BC), a theater for 5,000 spectators, where in 1927 and in 1930 Aggelos and Eva Sikelianou organized for the first time since antiquity ancient drama plays, as well as a set of Ηtreasures", small buildings in the shape of a chapel, which various countries dedicated to the Sanctuary to keep the precious offerings. The visitor can get an idea of these buildings by visiting the erected Treasures of the Athenians.
  The most important treasure appears to be the Treasure of Sifnioi, especially for its sculpted decoration, exhibited in the Museum of Delphi (one of the richest museums of the world), along with the magnificent, unique copper statue of Iniohos, the Sphinx of Naxioi, the two young man statues, findings of gold and ivory excavated in 1939 and tens of other findings. Eastward, where the two rocks of Fedriads meet, we see the renowned Kastalia Spring, and below the motorway, we see the Highschool and a little bit lower the Sanctuary of Athena "Pronaia", within which we see the dome, a round structure of dorian order, a true masterpiece. The new city of Delphi, which was transferred a km wester, after the excavations in 1892, is characterized by a modern touristic infrastructure and is ready to host all types of visitors. Here, we see the European Cultural Center of Delphi which aims at reviving Delphi as a European and international cultural centre with global activities, the house of Aggelos Sikelianos and his wife, Eva, which has been transformed into the Museum of Delphi Celebrations, a branch of the Arts School as well as many stores and workshops of folklore art. (...)
This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the WebPage of the Prefecture of Fokida


DESFINA (Small town) PARNASSOS

Desfina Community

  At the foot of Kirfis mountain and at an altitude of 600m. is lying amphitheatrically the small picturesque town of Desphina. Having a population of about 2,500 inhabitants, nowadays Desphina is an independent Municipality, near the site of the ancient city of Echedameia (there still are ruins-curved graves, etc.), which was destryed by Phillip II of Macedonia (355-346 BC), native town of the 1821 hero Isaiah bishop of Salona Isaiah and of the painter Spiros Papaloukas.
  Noteworthy monuments of Desphina and of the region are: the historic monastery of Ag. Ioannis Prodromos related to the 1821 Liberation struggle, the chapel of Taxiarches (in the yard of the Agios Charalambos church) which is a Basilica built during the 12th century with notable but partly damaged wall paintings. At the site Syro-Kastro there are still ruins of the ancient town of Medeon, ruined together with Echedameia by Phillip II (Third Sacred War).
This text is cited Sept 2003 from the WebPage of the Prefecture of Fokida


DROSSATO (Village) EFPALIO

Drossochori Community

Tel: +30 22650 23715

EFPALIO (Village) DORIDA

ELEONAS (Village) PARNASSOS

Eleonas Community

Tel: +30 22650 28331

Eptalofos Community

Tel: +30 22340 61327

ERATINI (Village) DORIDA

Eratini Community

  It is the capital of the new Municipality of Tolophon. It has a population of 700 people and it is a beautiful small town near the sea, region's commercial centre and an excellent resort.


FILOTHEI (Village) EFPALIO

Filothei Community

Tel: +30 26340 51130

GALAXIDI (Small town) PARNASSOS

Galaxidi Community

  Noble, picturesque, it stands proudly at the west part of Crisaean Gulf, the historic Galaxidi with 1,400 inhabitants built on the site of the ancient town of Oianthi (or Halaion according to others), it is a nautical city that carries a heritage of 4,000 years and which reached a peak during the 1821 Liberation War. Many invaders tried to conquer Galaxidi during its history, such as Franks, Catalans, Knights of Rhodes, Turkish pirates. But the city resisted and nowadays it is one of the most attracting Greek resorts. Its sailing vessels travelled across the seas prior to the appearance of of the coastal navigation. It was the first nautical force.
  Some of the interesting monuments someone could visit: Agios Nikolaos Church with the splendid and unique wooden temple, ruins of the walls etc. of the Ancient Town and carved graves of the classic period, in the region of "Kalafati". A traveller - tourist could also visit the Nautical and Archaeological Museum, the Folklore Art Museum, the church of Agia Paraskevi with its sundial, the Byzantine Monastery of Saviour built around AD 1,250, the house of the great history researcher Ί. Satha, the Tourism Department, the old Girls' School (Parthenagogeio), Chirolaka, the old stone reservoir of 15th century, could admire the traditional houses and buildings, among which the most important are: Tsalaggira Building (nowadays Municipality Offices), Aggeli Building (nowadays Folklore Museum), Bourzeiko Building, enjoy the sea on the superb beaches of the region, such as Kalafati beach, which, recently, has been remodelled, and taste the local seafood at Galaxidi's restaurants.
This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the WebPage of the Prefecture of Fokida


GLYFADA (Village) TOLOFONAS

Glyfada Community-

Tel: +30 22660 71086

GRAVIA (Village) PARNASSOS

Gravia Community

  A historic village with a population of about 1,050 inhabitants which probably took its name pidginly from the neighbouring ancient town of Karphia. It is the capital of the new Municipality and it is situated on the 33rd km of Amfissa - Lamia National Road. Gravia is famous for the historic battle given on 8th May 1821 by Androutsos and the other leaders of the struggle, who closed themselves in the legendary-historic Inn along with the 120 fighters and other supporters in the region and stopped Omer Vrionis, by cutting his way towards Salona and Peloponnese, targetting to the suppression of the Revolution. On the site dominates the statue of hero Odysseas and, reently, the historic Inn ("Hani") has been restored (It was inaugurated by the President of Hellenic Republic, M. K. Stefanopoulos and it is open to visitors). In a distance of 5 km to the South East, on the mountainsides there is the monastery of the Assumption of Virgin Mary (or Panasari), a significant monument, with a Byzantine church (with two domes), built in AD 1517.
This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the WebPage of the Prefecture of Fokida


ITEA (Town) FOKIDA

Itea Community

  Itea, built in the background of the Crissaean Gulf extends together with the neighbouring Kirra, along the coastline of the plain sharing the same name, the Crissaean Plain and it is the south ending up of the famous landscape of Delphi. Itea, a relatively new city, since it was founded in 1830, it managed to become soon an important commercial and transit centre due to a series of favourable circumstances. Nowadays, its population is about 9.000 people. The access to the city is easy, either by sea - it has a good port that serves the transport of both people and goods - or by land, as it is connected to the big road axis of Greece. It constitutes the way out to the sea not only for the Department - it is the port of Amfissa and Delphi - but also for the entire area of Central Greece. Its marine constructed according to the most advanced specifications has an anchorage capacity of 250 vessels and it is a good solution for vessel owners even from Attica.
  On 17th September 1827, in the bay of Η°gkaliΘ- (embrace), where there was a dock for vessels the so- called "Salona Dock", Frank Abney Hastings, a warm philellene and admiral of the Greek nautical force, piloting the first steam military ship in history, ΗKarteriaΘ, blew up the Turkish flagship and decimated the Turkish fleet. The terrible naval battle, that ended before it began, was almost bloodless for the Greek squadron and decisive for the Struggle of the Greek people. It contributed substantially to the acceptance of the idea of forming a state military fleet and marked the beginning of Greece's independence. Itea's street planning is perfect, it follows the Hippodamean System of Road planning, and gives city and its visitors the feeling of comfort and functionality. Squares and alleys full of trees make city beautiful and visitors can enjoy a walk through these, on the dock and on the beautiful green hill of Agioi Anargiri. The city is able, with its physical presence, its infrastructure and a net of services, to offer to its visitors a modern and comfortable accommodation. Its shape allows the contact with the sea from two sides, with beaches where everyone can pass a few hours of tranquillity and pleasure in the clear water and escape from everyday life.
  The "Trokantero" and "Maiami" beaches, honoured with "Blue Flags", gather many bathers as well as "Nafsika" and "Evaggelistria" beaches. The city has the capacity to receive and it receives big events, such as "Acropolis" and "Olympion" rallies, swimming contests of international prestige, congresses, etc.. Several events - sport events (basketball, swimming, bicycle races, cultural events (Nautical Week, carnival, Itea koulouma, concerts, etc.)- entertain the local people and visitors all around the year. Itea, a modern, active city, invites visitors to have a comfortable accommodation, to relax and enjoy magical nights with a view to the Corinthian Gulf. Municipality of Itea comprises: Kirra, a very ancient town. Its foundation is lost in the darkness of prehistory. Findings from excavations reinstate the existence of a settlement since year 3.000 BC. The tradition considers that Cretan merchants founded the city. The existence of Kirra during the historic period - after 1100 BC - cannot be questioned and it is stated as a rich and powerful city. It was the only point of access to the Delphi and flourished as the port of the sacred city.
  In addition, its power allowed it to play essential and leading role to the matters of Fokida (Phocis) and of the entire region. It was surrounded will strong walls, it was decorated with temples - of Apollo, Artemis, Leto - and immense statues, according to Pausanias. It had integrated port facilities, shipyards and private buildings and reservoirs. We do not know the end of Kirra. It is said that it was ruined in AD 740 by a devastating earthquake that hit many areas of the Balkans, even Constantinople. At the area of the port there still is a partly ruined medieval tower that had been possibly used as a lighthouse. Nowadays Kirra and Itea form a unique residential complex. Kirra's beaches are ideal for sea-sports, there is an organised beach at "Vrachakia"- and it has many rooms for rent, cambing facilities and traditional taverns with sea food Tritea is situated at the north-west of Itea bay, at an altitude of 380 metres. It is an ancient city which once was inhabited by Ozolians and Lokrians until 30 BC. It was an area submitted to the Roman Governor of Achaia. Near to the ruins of ancient Tritea , nowadays is situated the new village, which in the past was known as Kolopetinitsa, a name given due to a possible misunderstanding of Kalopetinitsa.
This text is cited Sept 2003 from the WebPage of the Prefecture of Fokida


Kalithea Community

Tel: +30 22660 71085

Kaloskopi Community

Tel: +30 22650 61205

KAMBOS (Village) EFPALIO

Kambos Community

Tel: +30 26340 51844

Kastellia Community

Tel: +30 22650 91370

KASTRAKI (Village) FOKIDA

Kastraki Community

Tel: +30 26340 51024

Kastriotissa Community

Tel: +30 22650 62363

KERASSIA (Village) DORIDA

KIRRA (Village) PARNASSOS

Kirra Community

Tel: +30 22650 32977, Fax: +30 22650 32977

KLIMA (Village) EFPALIO

Klima Community

Tel: +30 26340 51930

KOKINO (Village) VARDOUSSIA

Kokkino Community

Tel: +30 22660 52352

KOUPAKI (Settlement) VARDOUSSIA

Koupaki Community

Tel: +30 22660 41161

LILEA (Village) PARNASSOS

Lilea Community

Tel: +30 22340 51287

MALAMATA (Village) EFPALIO

Malamata Community

Tel: +30 26340 71027

MANAGOULI (Village) EFPALIO

Managouli Community

Tel: +30 26340 71211

Marathias Community

Tel: +30 26340 91444

Mariolata Community

Tel: +30 22650 91835

Mavrolithari Community

  Capital of the Municipality of Kallieis, with 250 inhabitants, a historic village, and native land of "armatolos" Vlacharmatas. The village was burned during the German occupation. It is built at an altitude of 1,140m between Vardoussia, Giona and Oiti and gathers many tourists during the summer time. It has the biggest square of the region, covered all around by plane trees, as well as the rent rooms Pantheon.
This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the WebPage of the Prefecture of Fokida


Monastiraki Community

Tel: +30 26340 51496

Moussounitsa Community

Tel: +30 22650 63385, Fax: +30 22650 63385

Inochori Community

Tel: +30 22650 61332, Fax: +30 22650 61332

PALEOXARI (Village) EFPALIO

Paleoxari Community

Tel: +30 22660 91165

Panourgias Community

Tel: +30 22650 62512

PENTAGII (Village) DORIDA

Pentagii Community

Tel: +30 22660 52209

Penteoria Community

Tel: +30 22650 65488

POLYDROSSOS (Small town) PARNASSOS

Polydrossos Community

Tel: +30 22340 51434, Fax: +30 22340 51207

POTIDANIA (Village) EFPALIO

Potidania Community

Tel: +30 22660 91492

Prossilio Community

Tel: +30 22650 23180

PYRA (Village) PARNASSOS

Pyra Community

Tel: +30 22650 62495

SERGOULA (Village) EFPALIO

Sergoula Community

Tel: +30 26340 91555

Sernikaki Community

Tel: +30 22650 22126, 23093

Sklithro Community

Tel: +30 22650 61333

STROMI (Village) PARNASSOS

Stromi Community

Tel: +30 22650 62155

TICHIO (Village) EFPALIO

Tichio Community

Tel: +30 22660 91370

TOLOFONAS (Village) DORIDA

Tolofonas Community

Tel: +30 22660 31600

TRIKORFO (Village) DORIDA

Trikorfo Community

Tel: +30 26340 44203

TRISTENO (Village) DORIDA

TRITEA (Village) PARNASSOS

Tritea Community

Tel: +30 22650 67170

TRIZONIA (Island) FOKIDA

Trizonia Community

Tel: +30 22660 71577

Vargiani Community

Tel: +30 22650 91230

Vounichora Community

Tel: +30 22650 65445, 65211

Ypsilo Chorio Community

Tel: +30 22660 52163

Zorianos Community

Tel: +30 22660 41317

Prefectures

Regional Division of Fokida

Tel: +3022653 50630-1, Fax: +3022650 79265

Town-halls

Municipality of Amfissa

Tel: +30 22653 50000, 50016

DELPHI (Small town) PARNASSOS

Delphi Municipality

Tel: +30 22653 51300, Fax: +30 22653 51333

DESFINA (Small town) PARNASSOS

Municipality of Desfina

Tel: +30 22650 51755-7, 51204

EFPALIO (Village) DORIDA

Municipal Section of Efpalio

Tel: +3026343 50040, Fax: +3026340 51228

ERATINI (Village) DORIDA

Municipal Section of Tolofon

Tel: +30 22660 31100, Fax: +30 22660 32323

GALAXIDI (Small town) PARNASSOS

Municipality of Galaxidi

Tel: +30 22653 51200, Fax: +30 22653 51222

GRAVIA (Village) PARNASSOS

Municipality of Gravia

Tel: +30 22650 91226, 91112

ITEA (Town) FOKIDA

Municipality of Itea

Tel: +30 22653 51100, Fax: +30 22653 51135

Municipal Section of Vardoussia

Tel: +30 22660 41244, Fax: +30 22660 41150

LIDORIKI (Village) DORIDA

Dorida Municipality

Tel: +3022663 50100, Fax: +3022660 22390

Municipality of Kallies

Tel: +30 22653 51500, Fax: +30 22653 51510

POLYDROSSOS (Small town) PARNASSOS

Municipality of Parnassos

Tel: +30 22340 51434, Fax: +30 22340 51207

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.