Listed 5 sub titles with search on: Local governments for wider area of: "IERISSOS Small town HALKIDIKI" .
IERISSOS (Small town) HALKIDIKI
Tel: +30 23770 22216
Fax: +30 23770 22414
Ierissos is the oldest and biggest village of the Municipality with 3118 residents. It is reported by historians as the continuation of ancient Acanthus, which was a colony of Andros since the 7th century B.C and an important city of Macedonia. The local residents deal mainly with fishing and tourism. During the more recent years, important professional activity related to Mount Athos has also developed.
It constitutes an important harbour for Northern Greece with lots of fishing activity.The fishes found in the gulf of Ierissos are well known for their taste throughout all of Greece.
The sandy beaches as well as the live amusement offered in Ierissos make it a unique place for vacations. The impressive social and cultural activity of the residents roots go back centuries and a sample of this are the many traditional songs that remain alive and are still sang up to today.
A lot of associations have been founded with a variety of activities,incuding the cultural association "Kligenis", the association "Friends of Environment", and the music association "Acanthus". There are also lots of professional associations (fishing, trade, builders association etc).
NEA RODA (Village) HALKIDIKI
Tel: +30 23770 31023
Fax: +30 23770 31203
Nea Roda is the biggest refugee village in northern Halkidiki. It was founded immediately after the Asia Minor destruction in a place called "Provlakas" (= before the avlaki = before Xerxe's Canal ) by roughly 40 refugee families which, after a year of roaming, reached Halkidiki in the summer of 23' and came to this area.
They came from Roda in the area of Propontida near the Marmara Sea or "Sea of the Greek spirit". In 1901, about 700 Greek people lived in the village. According to tradition they were settlers from Roda. In the village at that time there were also about 100 Turks living here, who had come from Koutali in 1700, by a Turkish order.
The whole area but also the wider region is presented as paradise: Rich sea and fertile soil. They produced silk from silkworm cocoons, granite in blocks, fish, fruit, olives, grapes, onions and a lot of other products,which they promoted with boats to Istambul. They had three churches (biggest being the church of Saint Dimitris) and an upgraded level of school. Up to 1912 they lived happily. Then things started to change when new Turks arrived. In all the Greek Asia Minor villages, the fear of slaughter and exile prevailed, with the known conclusion of that black August in 1922. The people of Roda fled in two different ways : Two boats left for Mitilini, while most pass over to the island of Aloni and afterwards over to the island of Marmaras. After 20 days the ship called Propontis picked them up and took them over to an area in Thessaloniki called Karabournaki, in order to end up in an area called Saint Barbara in Ano Toumba.There they scattered in small teams.
In 1923 the team in Mitilini is the one that reached this region first, rejecting the place of current Ouranoupolis considering it small and narrow so it resided for a few months off-handedly in Ierissos. There they proposed for their new village to be established after the harbour of Ierissos, but the locals were opposed to this in fear of future union. So they finally selected the place "Provlakas" and gave it the obvious name "Nea Roda".
The new village began to attract more refugees. A signifant number of them reached in privately-owned boats from Skopia ( or Skoupia), an area on the island of Aloni, opposite and very near Roda. The residents were mainly seamen and tradesmen. Religious as they were, they first took with them the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary, who today is the protectress and pride of Nea Roda. Families from Eastern Thrace, but also from Haraki and Gonia of Kizikou also arrived. In the meantime the other people of Roda residing elsewhere were informed of this new found land and most of them, correspond to the call, and also come to Nea Roda.
On the 14th of June in 1924 the exchange of populations began. The last Greeks of Asia Minor were eradicated and entered Greece seeking a new homeland. A big team from Kappadokia in 1926 arrived in Nea Roda, and the village takes its final form. Antaval ( "Antavali's" or "Antivalon") from the region of Nigdis in Kappadokia, was the homeland of this team. The new village although turkish spoken, is completely greek with approx 1800 residents. The church of Saint Konstantine was built in the year 500 A.C. and its ruins are preserved up to today. The name of the village emanates very probably from the verb "antivallo" (= I oppose), because of the permanent litigation with the turks. A place rocky, poor and barren, with marginal production, often led the men for periodical work to Istamboul. Specifically in 1913-1923 they suffered from Turkish pillages and lived in fear for their lives. When the command of abandonment was given, with head leader their priest Agathaggelo, they left on their horsewagons for Nigdi-Oulougousla and down to Mersina. After 1-2 months travelling north, they reached the area of Saint George in Piraeus and after Thessaloniki. From there, a big part passed from Pirgadikia, Ouranoupolis and Orfani but due to malaria and misfortunes they finally reached this region. For roughly 5 years they resided in the surrounding area, and then, with the little help of the greek government, they installed themselves and gave the village its current form.
Difficult years followed for all the residents. The nostalgia for the homelands was expressed continuously with the wish "ante gia mas ke kali patrida!" meaning 'to our health and a good return back to the homeland'. However there was also the will for a new start. They opened upto the sea, they cultivated the ground, and slowly - slowly progressed considerably.
There are barely any representatives alive of first generation of refugees that may recall any of this however the knowledge of our history, is precious for us, the younger generation.
STAGIRA (Village) HALKIDIKI
Tel: +30 23760 41335
Fax: +30 23760 41335
Stagira is the birthtown of Aristotles and the entrance to the Municipality of Stagiron - Akanthou. It is found built on the foot the Stratoniki Mountain (Strempenikos), at an altitude of 500 roughly metres. At the entrance of the village, visitors can visit the park in which the Statue of Aristotles stands proudly surrounded by monuments such as towers, public baths and the tower of Madem Aga, from the period of Sidirokafsia. Sidirokafsia was the administrative centre of the region,and had its own mint.
Further down going to the village, we see the central temple dedicated to the "Birthday of the Virgin Mary". It is of great historical importance, and was built in 1814 with the help of the Hilandari Monastery on Mount Athos. Also very interesting is the small chapel dedicated to the "Virgin Mary the Spilotissa" built in rock. In this area the big village feast takes place , on the 8th of September. Visitors can walk in the everygreen paths with a panoramic view. There are about 500 residents that live in the village today and they deal mainly with the exploitation of mining wealth and forests.
The beautiful and historical village of Stagira is located above the central road of Thessaloniki - Ouranoupolis approximately 8 kilometres from the sea.
STRATONIKI (Village) HALKIDIKI
Tel: +30 23760 41217
Fax: +30 23760 41469
Stratoniki is one of the mountainous villages within the Municipality, with a panoramic view towards the gulf of Ierissos and the peninsula of Athos. It is one of the mademohoria and the locals - mainly during the old days - had as main occupation mining. It is believed that the village was built by the king of Macedonia Perdikas,in honour of his brother Stratonikis.
Stratoniki's big acne began in 1530 during the reign of the sultan Souleiman the 1st. He reorganized the mines of the Ottoman empire, that were known in the region since the Byzantine period such as Sidirokafsia and Siderokava. During that time apart from Greeks, workers of many other nationalities (Bulgarians, Serbs,Turks, Albanians, Jews, and even German as technicians) came to the area in search of work. The acne of the mines turned Stratoniki into a big and flourishing centre, as there were more than 6.000 workers, in the 500-600 furnaces, scattered in the mountains. All this constituted a small Babel, as many languages were spoken by the the workers of various origins. Greek, Spanish-Jewishand a lot of Balkan languages.
The Jews practised mainly the money-changing profession and it seems that there were many of them because they dominated the market. The Jewish money-changers and Turkish tenants of the mines bought from the miners silver at state prices. It is not therefore by no means strange if Spanish was imposed as the common language of agreement. In any case, Greek and Serbian were spoken by the villagers in the market where they came to in order to sell their products. Thus, when the Jews kept their shops closed, the market would die down so consequently the days off in Sidirokafsia were two, Saturdays for the Jews and Sundays for the Christians.
It has been determined that by the mid 16th century, the sultan took from the mines, minerals valued about 20.000-30.000 golden coins. In Sidirokafsia it is believed that a mint functioned since the period of Murat the 2nd ! (1421-1451).
IERISSOS (Small town) HALKIDIKI
Tel: +3023773 50000
Fax: +3023770 22414
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!