Local governments MESSINI (Province) MESSINIA - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 30 sub titles with search on: Local governments  for wider area of: "MESSINI Province MESSINIA" .


Local governments (30)

Community offices

Community of Trikorfon

TRIKORFO (Village) MESSINIA
Tel: +30 27220 61273

Municipalities' district offices

Agrilia Community

AGRILIA (Village) ANDROUSSA
Tel: +30 27220 42309

Amfithea Community

AMFITHEA (Village) ANDROUSSA
Tel: +30 27220 41769

Voutena Community

ANO VOUTENA (Village) ARISTOMENIS
Tel: +30 27220 94910

Aristodimio Community

ARISTODIMIO (Village) ITHOMI
  The district consists of two villages: Aristodimio and Kalovrissi (Voumazi). Aristodimio was named after the mythical king of the Messenians, Aristodemus.
  According to the tradition, he was buried with his golden carriage in the particular area. The winter headquarters of the first municipality of Ithome was in Aristodimio. Visitors are able to admire the architecture, the house of Capetan Krobas, fighter of the Macedonian war, the parish church of Agios Constantinos (St Constantine), The Byzantine chapel of Agios Nicolaos (St. Nicholas) (10th century AD) as well as other sights.
  The house of Marinos Liberopoulos (Capetan Krobas), he-ro and martyr of the Macedonian war is in aristodimio. It is a listed monument according to the Ministry of Culture. After its restoration, it is a real orna - ment not only for the village but also for the surrounding area.
This text is cited April 2003 from the Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.

Arsinoi Community

ARSINOI (Village) ITHOMI
  Arsinoi is situated on the west of the Eva Mountain and on the south of the Ithome Mountain, at an altitude of 330m, at a distance of 2km from ancient Messini. It is a small traditional village with several stone houses. Around 746, farmers and stockbreeder inhabited it. Τhe original name of the village is unknown. Several years later, Arvanites from the villages of Soulima, Trifylia settled in the village and they were the first to give it the name Syriza, a distortion of which later gave the name Simiza. The first official appearance of the name Simiza is in the census carried out by the Venetians in 1700. Based on that census 19 families with 31 men and 29 women lived in the village.
  Arsinoi contributed to the 1821 War for the Independence two great fighters, Yiannis Tsiros and Yiannis Lekkas or Lekopoulos who served as an officer. Up to 1833 it belonged to the province of Implakia. In 1836 it became part of the newly founded municipality of Ithome. In the beginning of the 20th century and up to 1927 it was part of the community of Mavromati and had 238 inhabitants. From that moment on it became a separate village with 241 inhabitants, until 1998 when it was incorporated in the Municipality of Ithome.
  The Primary School of Arsinoi that operated since 1937 moved to a new building in 1952. The village was linked to the water network in 1958. The church was built in 1970, which was also the year the community office was built and the remodeling of the village square begun.
This text is cited April 2003 from the Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.

Diodia Community

DIODIA (Village) ARISTOMENIS
Tel: +30 27220 94010

Ellinoeklissia Community

ELLINOEKLISSIA (Village) ANDROUSSA
Tel: +30 27220 41571

Eva Community

EVA (Village) ANDROUSSA
Tel: +30 27220 41413

Kalogerorachi Community

KALOGERORACHI (Village) ANDROUSSA
Tel: +30 27220 41119

Kefalinou Community

KEFALINOS (Village) ITHOMI
  The village is situated at the foot of the Kapsalas Mountain. It dates back to the 11th - 12th century AD. Kefalinos, a Norman landowner, to whom it owes its name, built it.
  On the east, opposite the village, lies the Panayia (Virgin Mary) Mountain. The church "Deposition of the holly belt" dedicated to Virgin Mary is on its top.
  Water is abundant in the Kefalinos village and it springs from fountains under the shadow of plane trees, on the three sides of the village. The first fountain called Pano Vryssi (upper fountain) originates from the top of the Kapsalas Mountain and used to be decorated with two arches out of which only one has been saved. The second one, Pera Vryssi (far-away fountain), is estimated to be over 700 year-old and consists of two springs. The water of Krya Vryssi (fresh fountain) comes from a spring under the Holy Altar of the church of Agios (Saint) Athanasios.
  Kefalinos is the birthplace of Ilias Kormas, hero of the 1821 Greek War for the Independence, chieftain of Kontovounia and one of the prominent personalities of the area.
This text is cited April 2003 from the Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.

Kefalovrysso Community

KEFALOVRYSSO (Village) ARISTOMENIS
Tel: +30 27220 94884

Koutifari Community

KOUTIFARIS (Village) ARISTOMENIS
Tel: +30 27220 92166

Lefkochora Community

LEFKOCHORA (Village) MESSINI
Tel: +30 27220 91370

Manessis Community

MANESSI (Village) ARISTOMENIS
Tel: +30 27220 94311

Manganiako Community

MANGANIAKO (Village) ANDROUSSA
Tel: +30 27220 61500

Mavromati Community

MAVROMATI (Village) MESSINIA
Tel: +30 27240 51436
  In the heart of Ancient Messini, on the western slope of the Ithome Mountain, lies the village of Mavrommati. It owes its name to the mouth of an ancient spring- fountain (otherwise known as Clepsydra) and carries with it ancient legends and traditions of the area. In this same area, you may also visit the Museum of Ancient Messini and admire a multitude of archaeological findings uncovered during the many excavations in the archaeοlogical site of ancient Messini. The Sanctuary of Artemis Limnatis (Diana of the Lakes) is situated on the northeast of the village, on a plateau half way to the top of the Ithome Mountain, at the location known as "Spelouza".
This text is cited April 2003 from the Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.

Pelekanada Community

PELEKANADA (Village) ARISTOMENIS
Tel: +30 27220 96190

Platanovryssi Community

PLATANOVRYSSI (Village) ARISTOMENIS
Tel: +30 27220 92404

Polylofos Community

POLYLOFOS (Village) ANDROUSSA
Tel: +30 27220 42307

Poulitsi Community

POULITSI (Village) ARISTOMENIS
Tel: +30 27220 94911

Revmatia Community

REVMATIA (Village) ITHOMI
  A view of Revmatia whose former name was Loumi was established by Christian nomads, Arvanites, between 1360 and 1405 AD and built in a low land of overwhelming natural beauty among mountains. The houses are typical of traditional architecture. Kalamata to Revmatia is 40 kilometres with the KTEL buses making transport easier.
This text is cited April 2003 from the Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.

Sterna Community

STERNA (Village) ARISTOMENIS
Tel: +30 27220 94222

Strefi Community

STREFI (Village) ARISTOMENIS
Tel: +30 27220 94257

Valyra Community

VALYRA (Small town) ITHOMI
  Jeferemini changed its name to Valira on 4 November 1927. Its new name originated from Valira later called Mavrozoumena, the tributary river of Pamisos. Until then it was part of the prefecture of Mikromani. The school of the village opened in 1862 and the first teacher was Dionisios Kastoulidis.
  In 1839 Valira was the headquarters of the Derron municipality, which consisted of Valira and Skala. In 1840 the municipalities of Derron and Steniklaro were abolished and later incorporated in the municipality of Ihalia, which had already been established in 1835.
  Today Valira is the headquarters of the newly established Municipality of Ithome.
This text is cited April 2003 from the Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.

Zerbissia Community

ZERBISSIA (Village) ITHOMI
  West of the Arcadian Gate lies the village of Zerbissia. It is situated in a magnificent location with a beautiful view to the fertile plains of Messinia. Water is abundant in the village that is full of shadowy plane tress and fruit trees. Zarbissia and the Kochyli (or Lakakoukia) settlement form a separate municipal district. The village is semi mountainous and is built amphitheatrically, on a slope, at an altitude of 500m approximately. The spring known as "Seha" is on its sloping part. Tradition has it that the spring was named after the daughter of an Aga, who drowned herself in its waters during the Turkish occupation.
  Ruins of a prehistoric castle lie on the top of the Kochyli Mountain. The ruins of the old village dating back to the Middle Ages, lie on the north of the village at the "Pisso Rouga" location. Several Byzantine tombs were discovered in the contemporary village, at the square of the village church dating back to 1958. Foundations of an old Byzantine aqueduct were found next to "Seha". An over one metre wide old water pipe (called "Chtiri"), crosses the old settlement at the "Piso Rouga" location, goes through a tunnel in a hill (called "trypa" "hole") and ends up right outside the western wall of Ancient Messini.
  The churches of Ayios (saint) Spyridon in the cemetery of the village (a few of its wall paintings have been saved), Ayia (saint) Paraskevi, Ayios (saint) Dimitrios, etc. are also very interesting. The scenery is enchanting in the locations "Krya Vryssi (cold fountain)", "Vryssi Mouriki (Mourikis fountain)", "Vryssi tou Lykou (wolf's fountain)" and "Megali Vryssi (big fountain)" as well as in the waterfalls of "Kremasi (overhanging)" and "Paliomylos (old mill)", etc.
This text is cited April 2003 from the Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.

Town-halls

Oichalia Municipality

MELIGALAS (Small town) MESSINIA
Tel: +30 27240 22264, 27243 60300
Fax: +30 27240 23477

Messini Municipality

MESSINI (Town) MESSINIA
Tel: +3027223 60100
Fax: +3027220 22752

Villages' Council offices

Kalamaras Community

KALAMARAS (Village) ANDROUSSA
Tel: +30 27220 42308

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions