In Panormon the remains of the sixth century Christian basilica of Agia Sofia have been excavated. The basilica has three aisles; each aisle was separated from the other by four columns. Fragments of the capitals have been found. In front of the church, at right angles to the aisles, there is a narthex, and in front of the narthex an atrium which had Corinthian columns around the cistern and may have been a baptistery. To find the church, follow the main road entering the village until the Panormon post-office. Opposite the post-office on the left side of the square there is a sign to Agia Sofia. The road goes under the highway and in 100 metres reaches Agia Sofia.
This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
Southwest of the village of Panormo and 30 km east of Rethymno the largest early Christian church on Crete was excavated in 1948. The basilica has a wooden roof; it dates back to the 5th century and is dedicated to Aghia Sofia.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!