PERDIKA (Small town) THESPROTIA
Constructed in 2001 the park is situated near the Ag. Athanasios Monastery and it includes a big part of Perdika's river. In the park, in a secluded area of about 400 acres, there is some form of wildlife with easy access to the river. You can walk along the river banks crossing here and there over stone or wooden bridges. Wooden railings run all the way on one side of the paths. The main path is about a kilometre long and fairly easy to walk on. There's another path away from the river and uphill with steps made of tree trunks where needed. There is also a picnic area and several spots where you can rest. Sign posts can be found everywhere with detailed information.
It is the most important greek bridge, well-known due to the famous legend of the chief-builder, known not only in Greece and Balkan but in other countries too. Its history goes back in time even before the roman period, maybe in the times of Pyrros, the king of Epirus. Obviously this should be the bridge that Plinios mentioned in his writings. During the centuries, the Arta Bridge has been restored and extended many times. The last restoration was in 1612. A lot of folkloric essays, theatrical plays and operas were written about this famous bridge and the legend following it.
This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
PLAKA (Settlement) IOANNINA
It is the widest stone-made bridge of Epirus and probably of Greece. With its impressive 40-meters-wide arch it stands some 18 to 20 meters above the waters of Arachthos river. It also has two small auxiliary 6-meters-wide arches on its two sides.
The bridge'’s construction was completed in 1866 but before that it had collapsed twice during the building works, in 1860 and 1863. It stands on the border-line of the Prefectures of Arta and Ioannina and belongs to the community of Plaka Raftanaion.
This text is cited Mar 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
Built in a rectangular "U" shape and having the residence area on
the upper floor distinctly separated from the storage-auxiliary area in the ground-floor,
the tile-covered building has an interesting stonework, that is quite evident
on the ground-floor but coated upstairs.
Misios' Mansion belongs to one of the most important and old families of Epirus. In 1844, after a big fire, the existing mansion was built by the popular architect and craftsman, Nikolaos George Pantazis, widely known as Liolis. The mansion hosted many distinguished personalities in the past.
In 1941, during the World War II, it was bombarded but it was sufficiently restored from the damages it suffered and for the period of 1947-1953 housed the Public Works Ministry’s rebuilding services. In 1988, it was bought by the Ministry of Culture and today is being restored by the 6th Ephorate of Contemporary and Modern Monuments.
Tel: +30 26510 21501
Tel: +30 26510 25350
Tel: +30 26510 23006
Tel: +30 26510 20515
Tel: +30 26510 25195
Tel: +30 26510 22511
It is one of the few arcades left, offering a characteristic and distinguished
sample of such constructions. Located on the corner of Anexartisias and Xadjikosta
streets in Ioannina, the incessant arcade is in fact formed by a complex of one-to-two-storied
buildings with several elements of folk architecture. Of particular interest are
the symmetric formation of the openings, as well as the distinct morphological
elements (like the well-worked railings, the balconies,’ the arched upper stair
in front of the ironwork of the arcade’s entrance and the decorative frame of
the openings’ upper stair).
Today, the ground-floor area is leased and serve as stores or small industrial shops outside the arcade (carpenter’s and blacksmith’s shops).
During the restoration works, part of the arcade was expanded and reconstructed and the roof was rebuilt.
This text is cited June 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
Tel: +30 26510 26279
Tel: +30 26510 36231
Tel: +30 26510 25288
Tel: +30 26510 29876
Tel: +30 26510 26500
Tel: +30 26510 79921
Fax: +30 26510 75739
KONITSA (Small town) IOANNINA
In Ano Konitsa, it is still preserved in ruins the mansion of Zeinelbeis, father of Hamko. The largest section of Hamko's house is part of a Program of Konitsa Municipality that aims to the stabilization and restoration of the Tower (Koulia), the service buildings and the excavation findings, in order to be given to Konitsa as an archeological-cultural Park. In fact, the Tower (Koulia) is immediately under restoration so that it will welcome the exhibition for the chateau houses in Greece. In addition, it is anticipated for the future the creation of an outdoor theatre and refreshment stand so that the area will turn into the center of cultural and recreational events for the Konitsa residents and visitors.
This text is cited June 2003 from the Municipality of Konitsa URL below, which contains image.
Tel: +30 26530 61229
In a building located in the corner of Dardanellia and Chr. Kontos street, Costas Karyotakis, one of the most important Greek poets, lived the last days of his life (18 June - 21 July 1928). There is also a bust of the poet nearby.
ARTA (Town) EPIRUS
Tel: +30 26810 24636
Fax: +30 26810 79821
The castle of Arta was built in the middle of the 13th century, during the reign of the Despot of Epirus Michael II Komnenos Doukas (1230-1268). Here were the palaces of the ruler and the administrative headquarters of the Despotate of Epirus, one of the two Byzantine states established after the fall of the Byzantine Empire to the Latin Crusaders in 1204.
The castle was built on a low hill in the northeastern part of Arta, and in fact its enclosure wall is founded on the ancient fortification of the city. The massive walls were reinforced on three sides with a total of 18 towers, while the east side had as natural limit and defense shield the riverside of Arachthos, which was much closer to the walls at that time than it is today. The defensive character of the castle was strengthened in the Ottoman period, when it was the seat of the Turkish governor of the city. The tall clock tower, built as a natural extension of the walls, was erected in 1875.
In the southwestern corner of the castle is formed an internal fortress, which the Turks called "Uc Kale" (acropolis) and the locals "Kastraki" (small castle). The inner wall surrounding the fort, the labyrinthine entrance, the crypts and the confined vaulted rooms indicate that this area was the ultimate refuge from invaders and it is also suggested that from the mid-14th century the court of the reigning family had also been transferred here. The palace of Komninoi-Doukes no longer exists today, while some scant architectural remains and decorative features are the only evidence that Kastraki was its likely location. During the Turkish occupation the area functioned as a prison until the liberation of Arta in 1881. It is said that during the Revolution of 1821, the Turks imprisoned in Kastraki General Makriyannis with his fellow fighters.
Today, the center of the main fort occupies the building of the Xenia hotel, while in Kastraki operates since 1987 the municipal outdoor theater, which hosts important cultural events of the city.
Though its turbulent history did not leave it unscathed, the castle still stands proudly in the most prominent part of the city, in spite of conquerors and time. The medieval castle, along with the Byzantine churches of Arta, comprise one of the most important monumental complexes preserved today in Greece, indisputable witnesses of the last gleam of Byzantium in its twilight years.
References: Prefectural Unit of Arta Website
Tel: +30 26660 71267
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!