The ruined church
lies near the bank of river Acheron. Two rows of columns divide the interior into
three aisles. The apse of the sanctuary is three-sided, while a smaller, semicircular
apse occupies the north end of the sanctuary, in the area of the prothesis. The
basilica has a transept and a tripartite narthex to the west. It was probably
wooden-roofed and the wall masonry is pseudo-isodomic with large stone blocks
enclosed by bricks. The interior is decorated with wall paintings dated to the
17th and 18th centuries.
The basilica of Glyki was built in the Byzantine period, probably in the years of the Despotate of Epiros. During the excavation it was realized that the building was erected on top of an earlier structure, dated to the Early Christian period. It cannot be identified with the church that was founded by Saint Donatos in Evroia, with the donation of Theodosius the Great. There is a possibility though, that the ancient site of Evroia was not far from the modern village of Glyki. Excavations on the site were conducted in two campaigns, in 1953-54 (by D. Pallas) and in 1970-72. In the second campaign, the monument was completely uncovered and a second rectangular structure of the Early Christian period was found to the south of the basilica's narthex.
The site was enclosed with a fence in 1965.
This text is cited July 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!