EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Sights for wider area of: "ILIA Prefecture WEST GREECE" .


Sights (3)

Buildings

PYRGOS (Town) ILIA

Agora of Pyrgos

  Classicistic building which formerly housed the Central Market. It is located in the centre of the town of Pyrgos.
  The building was constructed after plans by the German architect Ernst Ziller. It has been turned over by the Municipality of Pyrgos to the Ministry of Culture for use as an Archaeological Museum. A preliminary study for restoration of the building has been accepted but work has not yet started.
  It has been turned over by the Municipality of Pyrgos to the Ministry of Culture for use as an Archaeological Museum. A preliminary study for restoration of the building has been accepted but work has not yet started.


ZACHARO (Small town) ILIA

Rail Station

The train station, a traditional structure built at the beginning of our century, is between Zacharo and the beach. For many decades before the roads were built, the train was the only means of transport to Athens and other cities in the Peloponese.


Castles, fortresses & fortifications

KASTRO (Village) ILIA

Chlemoutsi Castle

Tel: +30 26230 95920, Fax: +30 26230 95033

    Chlemoutsi (Chateau Clermont, Castel Tornese) is built on the summit of a hill with an extensive view to the plain of Elis and the Ionian Sea. It was established by the Prince Geoffrey I Villehardouin in 1220-1223 and it became the strongest fortress of the Frankish principate of Achaia. After the end of Frankish domination, Chlemoutsi gradually lost its importance. It remained though in continuous use, under Greek, Venetian or Turkish domination, until the Greek War of Independence. The castle underwent small scale works only by the Turks. Thus, it preserved its strong Frankish character almost intact and today it forms a striking example of fortress architecture of the Frankish era in Peloponnese.
  The castle consists of two enclosures. The inner enclosure, which included the residence of the castellan or the Prince, the chapel and residence for the garrison, is built on the highest point of the hill and it has the shape of an irregular hexagon made up of a continuous row of halls around a vast central courtyard. In the outer enclosure, extending north and west, exist remains of buildings, of cisterns and of a Turkish mosque. In the buildings of both enclosures exist remains of numerous fireplaces. The western architectural features are predominant in the castle, like the depressed or slightly pointed arches chosen for the openings and the ovoid vaults which cover the halls of the inner enclosure.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.