gtp logo

Location information

Listed 5 sub titles with search on: Sights  for wider area of: "VASSILIKI Village LEFKADA" .

Sights (5)


Kakonyftis cave


Karoucha cave


Religious monuments

St. George Monastery

Near the village, at Bisa, is the Monastery of Ayios Georgios. Its foundation is estimated to have taken place in the late 16th-early 17th century, at any rate not later than 1620. It was never a large monastery but was, however, very rich and with many possessions. The small church has been extended in an easterly direction and was once filled with wall-paintings, very few of which survive today. The local residents say that in 1922 the church was used as a place of isolation for people suffering from smallpox. After the epidemic, in order to disinfect the church, the walls were pounded and whitewashed. A portion of the newer iconostasis of the mid-18th century, with excellent wood-carvings, survives, including two icons, one of the Theotokos (Virgin) and one of Christ. The Archaeological Service has found the remains of ancient towers at Marmara, Pyrgi and Kleismatia.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images

Ayios Ioannis Monastery

  The north section of the region has many interesting natural and cultural features which, even though they have not yet been developed for tourism, are well worth seeing. The dilapidated monastery of Ayios Ioannis can be reached on the route up towards Syvro, five kilometres south of the village of Vournika, at the quiet and peaceful spot of Rodaki from which the whole of the gulf of Vasiliki can be seen.
  This monastery is one of the most interesting on the island and was most likely built in 1654. The church is built over the floor of a large ancient Doric temple most likely dedicated to Demeter, the goddess of agriculture and fertility. For this reason it is said that any childless couple that steps over the threshold of the church and follows the service will then have a child. There are even traces of the ancient temple, such as the Doric column capitals and part of the paved floor. The original church was continuously expanded, the number of monks' cells increased and auxiliary areas built. In the late 18th century the monastery became public property and in 1797 it was given over to the Monastery of Asomatos Vafkeris. The church is in a fairly good condition, within a large precinct. It has two entrances and a separate seating area for women. Sections of the paintings on the east wall of the church are well-preserved and rendered in an exceptional artistic style. The austere figure of the Platytera (the Virgin) can be seen in the apse above the altar. In the prothesis is a painting of the Akra Tapeinosi, followed by Ayios Stefanos and Ayios Romanos. The delicate and elegant technique used in the paintings is still obvious, despite their deteriorated condition.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


The lake of Marantochori


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures