EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 7 sub titles with search on: Sights for destination: "EDESSA Town PELLA".


Sights (7)

Waterfalls

The Waterfalls of Edessa

  The waterfalls of Edessa didn't use to be the same as they are now. Until the end of the 14th century the main volume of the water was held in a small lake in the west of the town.
  Then the waters (perhaps after a geologic or weather phenomenon) decide to pass the town and to fall thematical from its rock, as a result creating many small rivers and at the same time the lake from where they were from came to an end.
  Many travellers of the 17th and 18th century describe the picture of the town with arock from which water falls of a lot of waterfalls.
  For nowadays traveller it would be difficult to understand what happened a few decades ago, when the waterfalls was an unknown place. They were hidden behind high grass, behind irrepressable vegetation, abandonned at the edge of the rock, it was considered to be a venture or even an adventure to walk down the rough paths of those days to watch them ... or to take a picture of them.
  From 1942 there is a different confrontation of the whole place and the first Germans see it with a touristic and of usage view. Each mornimg the sergeant of the Gestapo Fritz blocked the ways to the square, took away the identity cards of the men and if they wanted to get them back they had to give a hand at the work-site at the waterfalls. So in summer, in 1942, two swimming pools, parterres, flower-stands sprong out of nowhere. We could say now that they were built with an interesting architecture which respects the landscape.
  After the end of the war, the place was given to the municipality of Edessa and the gardeners looked after it, planted in it many flowers and trees. Then the civil war broke out and the waterfalls were forgotten for same time, except the farmers of "Loggos" district who enjoyed having their bath there. They were hard working people who had never seen the sea, got off their mule and dived into the cold green waters.   1953 was a turning point when a restaurant was finished and opened with the name "PISINES"(=pools) where the people of Edessa could celebrate and enjoy themselves dancing valse, tangos, mambo and jazz.
  Until the beginning of the 1960's paths were under construction so that the tourists could get to the waterfalls safely that time the places "Belventere" were constructed to have a variety of views. There was an exception however, the desicion of the electric civil service to built another small factory, destroying the waterfalls park and the waterfalls as well. This "Stupid" idea didn't work out because people of the town became stabborn and fought back so they SAVED the waterfalls after many fights, the matter of course and the manifest.
  Today the waterfalls are a well-known site of the immensity beaty for whole Greece and all the rest world. Anyone can safety admire the big waterfall named "KARANOS" and the double's. The water falls from 70 meters height and there is a small cave under the rock.
  The whole area has been upgraded and offers many facilities to the tourists. Indicatively, it is reported that there is a tourist information office continiously open as well as the Open Air Water Museum (Industrial Museum with watermills - factories) and a 5* hotel with a convetion center amd other facilities.

This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Edessa URL below, which contains images.


Buildings

Edessa Girls’ School

  This tile-covered building -on a level with the ground from one side and two-stories-high on the side of the Plains- has got openings that are symmetrically formatted on the outside. Morphologically influenced by the neoclassical architectural school (pseudo-pilasters, frames of openings, curved eaves, etc.), the edifice is in fact a rectangular undivided structure that is interrupted only by two rows of wooden pillars.
  The year of construction (1877) is inscribed on the founding-plate, above the main entrance slate, that reads: "The Greek Orthodox public of the town of Edessa, helped by art-loving foreigners, raised this edifice of the Muses for the enlightenment of the Edessaen daughters, in the month of April of the year 1877 of our Lord".
  Today, the building belongs to the City of Edessa and, although it officially serves as a Museum of Byzantine Art, is being used as a multi-cultural center.

This text is cited May 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Yeni Mosque


The Clock of the town


Traditional settlements

The traditional district of "Myloi",

  The traditional district, "Myloi", is located next to the park of the waterfalls and constitutes the old industrial zone of Edessa. Here, the affluence of water in combination with the steep inclines of the ground has provided the potential for the exploitation of hydrokinetics for power generation. At the end of the 19th century, six water driven units, all of tem spinning and hempseed factories, were established in the area, and prospered during the mid-war period and contributed to the industrial development and the characterization of Edessa as "Manchester of the East". In 1962, economic difficulties led to the definitive closure of these units, the premises of which have nowadays been restored, while the Country Water was opened.
This text (extract) is cited October 2003 from the Pella Prefecture Tourism Committee tourist pamphlet.


Bridges

Byzantine bridge


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.