DAFNI (Village) SERRES
Intersting small cave, known as the Cave of St. Marina can be found in the Village of Dafni. The inhabitants believe that during the difficult years of the Turkish domination the village population was greatly relieved at this cave while they were secretly praying, as we can see on the worn wall-paintings in the caves. According to rumours given by the elders ofthe village, the cave's wall-paintings, which are being repaired, were destroyed by the Turks in 1922 while they were leaving.
A place of great historical interest is the last remains of a castle, which is in the village called Dafni. It is the preserved, high Tower (Pyrgos), known to the locals as "Pyrgos of Maro". Maro, from whom the Tower got its name, was the wife of Mourat II a and the daughter of the Serbian sovereign Georgio Brakovits. Her mother was a grandaughter of Matheos Kantakouzinos and niece of Helen, wife of David Komninos, the last emperor of Trapezounta. Maro, after the death of Mourat II, inherited the large village, Dafni, whose ancient name was Ezeve, where she settled down and lived in great luxury and dominance.
In the Old Code of the Cathedral of St. Theodores (of Serres), where the registration of holy vessels and vestments takes places, it is mentioned as "Icon of Maro which was made of the Holy wood". In other words, she had donated to the Cathedral an icon of the Virgin Mary which was made from Holy wood. Even though Maro was so far away from the Sultanic court, she kept on influencing Turkey's policy, something that brought envy to the Turks, who sent people to Dafni to kill her. However, she managed to elude them and hide in a village nearby, where she died not long after.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!