Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Sights
for destination: "MONI EIKOSSIFONISSIS
Buildings of the Monastery
In the middle of the main Monastery is situated the imposing temple
of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Temple and includes the Superior’s
quarters, the cells of the Nuns, the Archontariki (reception room), the Chapel
of St. Varvara with the holy water, the Museum, the Refectory, the workshops and
related installations, while the whole Monastery complex is enclosed in walls
Before getting to the Monastery one comes to the monument erected
for the 172 monks slaughtered in 1507 by the Turks.
At the external part of the wall there is a place of worship built
with excellent quality marble and close to it another place of worship with a
dome, under which there is holy water. Next to it stands the Cemetery with the
small church of Saints Anarghiri.
To the southeast corner of the Temple stands the Monastery’s
bell-tower. Outside and over the walls to the east, stands an old wind mill, the
"Blessed Virgin Mary Sedile" and a small place of worship.
This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture
of Serres tourist pamphlet.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.