ARMOLIA (Village) CHIOS
The Castle is is large and striking. It is built at the hilltop and maintains an altitude of 220meters; this is one of the highest altitudes evident in the southern region of Chios. Its position is such that one can visually inspect the Kalamoti and Armolia plains as well as the Komi seashores.
The Apolichnon Castle is one of the most well-preserved castles on the island whilst its size and numerous interior rooms cannot help but be impressive.
A Genoan, Nicholas Ioustiniani, built the oblong shaped Castle in 1440. The walls were twice as thick and they had small defense towers. Its interior exhibited water dams and 62 rooms.
As we stroll through the Castle, we can see the remaining ruins of the rooms, remnants of the defense towers with the loopholes found on the east and west sides. They also appear within a large area of the well-maintained south wall that is also relatively high.
There is a defense wall, shorter in height, located outside the interior wall at a relatively large distance. It was obviously constructed to impede invaders, since they were afforded easy access from the flat slope and the absence of this wall.
The north side, on the other hand, is much more difficult to access due to the rocky cliff. There are large arch-shaped windows on the northeast tower, which may have been utilized for entry with rope ladders, as was common practice in those days.
(text: Giannis Makridakis)
This text is cited December 2003 from the Prefecture of Chios tourist pamphlet (2003).
KALAMOTI (Small town) CHIOS
North of Kalamoti, there is a medieval tower called Zyvos which was destroyed by the earthquake of 1881. General meetings of the "Public of Mastic Villages" were held in this tower in which the representatives' election took place. Near the tower's remains, there is the Byzantine church of Panaghia of Sikelia that possesses exquisite ceramic decor and is dated to the 13th century.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!