Sights PYLIA (Province) MESSINIA - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 10 sub titles with search on: Sights  for wider area of: "PYLIA Province MESSINIA" .


Sights (10)

Buildings

Kapodistrian School

METHONI (Small town) MESSINIA

Castles, fortresses & fortifications

The castle of Koroni

KORONI (Small town) MESSINIA
  The castle of Koroni is erected in the south part of the city of Koroni. In the classical years it was a simple, plain fort but it later became a byzantine fort, which was conquered by the Franks(the French) of the 4th crusade in 1205. With the treaty of the island of Sapientza (1209) it was given to Venetians, which they turned into a fort for their port in order to promote their commercial products.
   In August 1500, it is coquered by the Turks and many residers flee for Zakynthos, Kefallonia and later for Lower Italy.
   In 1532, the emperor of German and Spain, Charles the 5th, wanting to create a distraction and provoke the sultan Souleiman the Magnificent, he sends armed forces to the Peloponnese with the admiral Andrea Doria.
   Doria's expedition was a failure and he had to leave Methoni in 1534 taking 2000 refugees from Koroni who settled in Lower Italy. The Venetians come back (1685-1715) with Frank Morozini.
   In 1715, the Turks come back and stay until 1828 turkish families settle in the castle and both social and financial decay starts, which is completed with the bombardment of Orlof (1770).
   In 1828, it is liberated and given to the Greek goverment by the French general Maizon with Nikitaras as commandant.
   This castle is ruined today but, the old-calendar convent of holy John the Baptist, the ruined Byzantine temple of St. Sophia, the church of St. Haralambos and the «RESALTO», a place to honour the Greek fighters who tried to conquer the castle in 1824, are preserved.
   In addition, the hewn tombs, Venectian reservoirs, Turkish baths and the magnificent «domes» are preserved. In every corner of the castle there is a «dome», that is, a gunpowder storehouse or bizihanes, while the best «dome» was blown up the Germans in 1944 during their withdrawal.

This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


Castle of Pylos - Niokastron

NIOKASTRO (Castle) PYLOS
Tel: +30 27230 22955
  Two castles are built on the summits of the two hills at the ends of the Bay of Navarino, overlooking the town of Pylos: the older castle of Navarino, called Palaiokastron or Palaionavarinon and the more recent castle, called Niokastron.
  The latter was built in 1573 by the Turks, and in 1686 was given over to the Venetians. It again came under Turkish domination in 1715, along with the castle of Koroni and Palaionavarino. In 1816 it was captured by Ibrahim Pasha and remained under his control until 1828 when it was liberated by the French general Maison. During the Second World War it was used as the seat of the Italian and, later, the German headquarters.
  Large-scale restoration work has been carried out for many years. The restored hexagonal Fortress on the top of the hill houses the Museum and the Underwater Archaeological Research Centre.

  The most important monuments of the site are:
  The Castle.It is divided into two main sections:
- Enceinte-Lower Castle; the larger of the two sections occupies the slope of the hill and is built of ashlar limestone blocks.
- Upper Castle; hexagonal fortress with massive battlements and projecting bastions which protect five of the six corners of the walls.
  Church of the Metamorphosis (Transfiguration). Cross-in-square domed church dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ. It was used as a Moslem mosque and was later converted into a Christian church.
  General Maison's building. Rectangular, two-storeyed stone building erected in the 19th century. It has been reconstructed and now houses the Museum and the offices.

Niokastro

The most important monuments and architectural totals are:
- The castle which is divided in two parts:
Compound-Lower castrle: The bigger of the two parts spreads on the slope of the hill and its perimeter is 1566 m. It takes up on area of 80.000 m2 and it's built with hewn limestone.
Upper castrle: An hexagonal fort with strong ramparts and projecting bastions which cover five out of its six corners.
- The church of the transformation of the Saviour; Cross-shaped church with a gothic-style dome which was built by the Franks. It functioned as a Muslim mosque first and subsequently as a Christian Church.
- General Mezon's building: Rectangular two-storey building, with stones of the early 19th century, in which, after its restoration, there is a museum and offices.

This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


Catacombs

Early christian cemetery

METHONI (Small town) MESSINIA
The early christian cemetary - Byzantine Hermitage of St Onoufrios, which is carved into the natural rock 3 km. north of Methoni close to the road going to Pylos. The monument was excavated during August 1967 and the year 1968. It is a complex of escavated chambers into the rock and open air graves. The area around the monument has served during ancient and medieval times as a poros quarry his is where construcion material for the building of the Castle of Methoni was used. To the east of the monument and at a distance of 400 meters in the area called Agaki, lies another equally important monument of the area, the Byzantine Temple of St. Bassileios. The vistitor can visit the area easily, observe the monyments and enjoy the magnificent view from the hill.

This text is cited March 2004 from the Municipality of Methoni URL below, which contains image.


Catacombs

On the Agios Nikolaos hill, 2km away from town.

Caves

Blach Hole

SCHIZA (Small island) INOUSSES
Στη Δυτική πλευρά της νήσου Σχίζας και σε απόσταση 400 μ από την θάλασσα, υπάρχει ένα θαυμάσιο ανεξερεύνητο σπήλαιο γνωστό ως "Μαύρη Τρύπα". Το σπήλαιο είναι διανοιγμένο μέσα σε Ηωκαινικό Παλαιοκαινικό ασβεστόλιθο. Η πορεία μέσα στο σπήλαιο είναι πολύ δύσκολη. Εκεί που μπορεί να φτάσει ο παράτολμος εξερευνητής είναι η αίθουσα, η οποία χωρίζεται σε μικρότερους θαλάμους. Το θέαμα των σταλακτιτών και σταλαγμιτών είναι υπέροχο. Έχουν εντοπιστεί όστρακα προϊστορικών χρόνων. Το σπήλαιο παρουσιάζει Αρχαιολογικό, Γεωλογικό και Τουριστικό ενδιαφέρον.

Το κείμενο παρατίθεται τον Μάρτιο 2004 από την ακόλουθη ιστοσελίδα του Δήμου Μεθώνης


Lighthouses

The lighthouse of Sapientza

SAPIENTZA (Small island) METHONI
On the south part of the Porto Loggo bay, a path starts, via which the visitor can visit the south part of the island where the lighthouse of Sapientza is located. It is an impressive octagonal stone building of 18 metres in height built by the English circa 1890. At its base there are rooms for the lighthouse personnel. By climbing the 75 stone steps we reach the top of the lighthouse. The view is spectacular. The distance covered byt the lighthouse beam duriing the first years of its operation was 40 miles, while today, this distance has been reduced to 27 miles.

This extract is cited March 2004 from the Municipality of Methoni URL below.


Religious monuments

Ruins of the Enetian church of St. Leon

METHONI (Small town) MESSINIA

Various

KORONI (Small town) MESSINIA
In the small town that is enclosed within walls there are catacombs, the remains of a monastery and the half-ruined church of Agia Sofia.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions