The castle which constituted the acropolis of ancient Kyparissia was built in the Upper Part of the Kyparissia and overlooked the blue endlessness of the Ionian sea as well as the tame valley. We don't know when it was built but the Lower Walls have been built according to the symmetrical style of fortification which constitutes a sign of mycaenaic style architecture, while during the Byzantine years, and under Justinian's ruling, the castle is restored and on the four corners, four turrets were built from which only the eastern one is saved. During the domination by the Franks(1205-1430 A.D) it was restored by the Franks and constitutes an impregnable fort for the flourishing city of Kyparissia while, during the Turkish rule, eminent Turks lived there and improved its infrastructure. Today, only a small amphitheater is saved where social functions take place.
This text is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!