The lighthouse, which is considered to be the most characteristic symbol of Alexandroupolis, was built by the French company ‘Faron and Faron’ for the Ottoman Empire. It was constructed almost simultaneously with the introduction of the railway system into the city and the creation of the small harbour.
The Lighthouse began functioning on June 1, 1880. It has a height of 27 meters above the sea and includes a rotating light beam.
Visibility under normal weather conditions reaches 23 miles. It is entirely manufactured by boulders and in the interior there are stone covered stairs.
Until 1973, the Lighthouse functioned with a combination of air and petrol. The older system was replaced by a newer one including gas and electricity.
This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains images.
One of the most important and oldest neo-classical buildings in Alexandroupolis, as well as an important monument is the Zarifeios Pedagogique Academy, which was named after its founder, George Zarifis, a wealthy businessman from Constantinople.
In its 60 years of education, thousands of students have graduated from the Academy under the guidance of top instructors, including the well-known professor Evangelos Papanoutsos. The graduates have entered various fields. Some have stayed in Alexandroupolis while others have established themselves in other parts of Greece.
The tasteful instruction room with its glass roof and crystal floor remind one of the birth-place of its founder, Constantinople. A statue of George Zarifis with a marble bust, created by the sculptor Nikos Perantinos can be found in the courtyard of the Academy.
This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!