gtp logo

Location information

Listed 14 sub titles with search on: Sights  for wider area of: "DIDYMOTICHO Town EVROS" .


Sights (14)

Buildings

Ferintoun Achmet Beg hot baths

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

Uroutz Pasha hot baths

"Carolos jail"

Castles, fortresses & fortifications

The Castle of Didymoteicho

Castle of Pythion

PITHIO (Small town) DIDYMOTICHO
  Defensive wall of the 14th century A.D. It lies on a low foothill of eastern Rhodopi, in front of the Evros valley. It is a magnificent example of military architecture from the final years of Byzantium. It consists of an internal and an external part and the two central towers are preserved virtually intact. The large square four-storeyed tower that was used as a residence, preserves the cornice of the fourth, broader floor, which is not preserved or was never constructed. The smaller, also four-storeyed tower had military-defensive function. A large arched gate between them led from the outer to the inner enceinte, of which are preserved parts.
  The castle was built in the beginning of the 14th century and was used as the refuge and personal "cashier" of the Byzantine emperor John VI Kantakouzenos. Such towers are considered to be the influence of the West to the Byzantine military architecture.
  The gate has been supported with pairs of beams and its arch has been consolidated. Restoration has been carried out at the end of the west wall, and at the upper NW corner of the second floor which had been broken (four angles with wooden cases were used on the outer side and wires were fastened on the opposite wall).

Caves

Cagiali cave

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

Vouva Cave

KOUFOVOUNO (Small town) DIDYMOTICHO

Monuments

Uroutz Pasha mausoleum

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

Religious monuments

The Great Temenos

  Large, unfinished rectangular building, built of well-cut blocks, with a monumental entrance on the west side. Instead of built vaults it has a pyramidal roof of lead leaves on a wooden frame, which stands on four built pillars.
  The temenos was founded near the road linking Traianoupolis and Adrianople, in the years of Mohammed I (1413-1421).
  The lead leaves of the roof have been replaced, and the structure has been reinforced with a metal tower inside. The wall paintings have been cleared. Today the monument is used as a storeroom for the archaeological finds from the area of Didymoteichon.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


The great mosque

Post byzantine church of St. Catherine

Various

The biggest flag in the world

Walls

The walls

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures

ΕΣΠΑ

Promotions