KOMOTINI (Town) RODOPI
The monument consists of three parts, a central rectangular space and two rectangular ones, on either side. They are all roofed with hemispherical vaults supported on semicircular pointed arches inside and on octagonal drums outside.
The cloisonne masonry and the construction, mostly of the central part, are reminiscent of Byzantine architecture. The monument is dated to the end of the 14th century, while the annexes were added in 1935.
In the frame of the building's restoration, the following works took place: the annexes of 1935 were demolished, the wall masonry was consolidated, the roof tiles were restored, the two-sloped roof of the southern central part was reconstructed, the three layers of plaster on the interior walls were investigated, the openings were restored, and new floors and frames were placed.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!