EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 15 sub titles with search on: Sights for destination: "RODOS Town DODEKANISSOS".


Sights (15)

Buildings

Palace of the Grand Master


Municipal Theatre of Rodos

Tel: +30 22410 36710, 30668, Fax: +30 22410 30668

Regional Division of Dodekanissa

Tel: +30 22413 60530, Fax: +30 22413 60547

The Astike School of Rhodes

The two-storeyd stone building is simple, almost square in plan, and has a pitched, tiled roof. Decorative horizontal bands are used on the exterior surfaces of the walls, under the roof and between the two floors. The building has a large, fenced yard, both in the front and the back. In the backyard, a characteristic postico and a marble fountain are still preserved.
The building was constructed in 1874 and it is one of the first organized christian schools of Rhodes. It is a a continuation of the "Mutual Teaching School", founded by the metropolite of Rhodes, Paisios. The building was constructed on an older one, built in 1765, which occupied the large, communal piece of land, that extended up to the modern Venetokleion.
Today it is used as a primary school.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Hotel des Roses

The hotel was built during the Italian occupation of the island and it is an imposing building of great architectural interest as its volume is broken up into smaller units, making the structure more complicated. Its simple form, the arcaded facade andthe garden, are still an integral part of the modern city of Rhodes.
The building has two architectural phases:
It was designed by an italian architect, Michele Petracco in the early 1920's and was built in the style of Oriental Eclecticism
Later on, in the priod of the italian fascism, starting in 1936, the dominant archittectural style) resulted in several changes in the form of the building: the oriental features (arcs, domes, apses etc.) were diminished and the structure came to its present form.
Today the building is abandoned.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


The Post Office

The building of the Post Office is located on the Liberty Square (Plateia Eleftherias) of the modern city of Rhodes. It is an excellent specimen of the Rennaisance Eclecticism and the "Finta Pietra" technology . The facade is richly decorated with reliefs carved on local poros stone. The impressive main entrance is in the centre of the building and symmetrical openings are left on each side. The building was constructed during the first years of the Italian occupation by the Italian architect Florestano di Fausto. It was then used as the Italian Post-Office (Palazzo delle Poste) and its function today remains the same, as it houses the Greek Post-Office (ELTA).

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Kazouleion Girls' School

It is a stone, neoclassical building with tiled roof. The ground floor is Pi-shaped in plan and only the central part is two-storeyed. The main entrance is located in the groun floor, in a recession behind a porch with two columns in the middle and two pillars on each side. The building was constructed in the end of the 19th century by a donation of Paul Kazoulis. In 1930, by a donation of Michael Kazoulis, Paul's nephew, the second floor was added and it was called "The Upper Kazouleion". Today it is used as the Second Primary School of Rhodes.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


The Hospice of Saint. Catherine

  The Hospice of St. Catherine was built in 1391-92, under grand master Heredia, by the Italian Domenico d'Allemagna, admiral of the Order of the Knights of St. John (Knights Hospitaller). The founder was an important personage, disposing of considerable means. The foundation charter of the Hospice in 1391 states that it was «founded in the burgus of Rhodes, near the walls at the gate leading to the mole» already known as the «Gate of St. Catherine» from 1465. The situation of the building draws the eye, as it projects into the axis of the high street; the salient part carries the coats of arms of 1516. The Hospice, exclusively intended for eminent guests of the Order, was already in use from 1394-95; at this date traveller Niccole de Martoni described it as «beautiful and splendid, with many handsome rooms containing many and good beds». The building was apparently destroyed in the siege of 1480 and the earthquake of 1481. Its rebuilding, as testified by the heraldy on the west faηade, was completed by Costanzo Operti in 1516, when Fabrizio del Carretto was grand master.
   In 1944 the east part of the Hospice was destroyed by Allied bombing, along with many building in the heart of the Jewish quarter. In the years following, the surviving part stood forlorn in a deserted neighbourhood. It was occupied by poor immigrants from the neighbouring islands until 1986, in slum conditions.
   The Hospice of St. Catherine was one of the 20 state-owned properties under the jurisdiction of the Archaeological Receipts Fund entered in the restoration programme of the Office of the Medieval Town, founded in October 1985. Its restoration, in the following ten years, was a complex process involving:
a) The social problem of rehousing 16 households hitherto accomodated within the Hospice (1986-1995).
b) Archaeological investigation of the site (1987-1993).
c) Urgent rescue measures, carried out alongside the restoration of the Hospitaller masonry and structural examination (1986-1991)
d) Completion of consolidation measures and the architectural restoration of the standing part of the Hospice (1992-1995).
e) Conservation of medieval and traditional features by specialists.
f) Restoration of the collapsed east side of the building (1994- ).
g) The integration of the restored Hospice «Heritage Educational Centre» into the surrounding archaeological sites, in order to facelift the area and attract the visitor of the historic centre.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains images.


Venetokleion High School

It is a stone, neoclassical building, with basement and groundfloor, a tiled roof and a broad staircase in the front. The facade of the projecting, central part, is dominated by six large columns, in front of the main entrance. The plan of the building is actually cross-shaped, and a variety of decorative elements are visible on all sides: decorative bands, corner antae, built-in pillars etc. The building was constructed in 1910 by a donation of Venetokles and it occupied part of the large communal piece of land, that also included the Kazouleion and the Astike School. Today it is used as the High School of the City of Rhodes.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


The "Aktaion"

Ιt is a two-storeyd building with flat roof and an arcade looking towards the road by the sea. The walls are built in the typical, local isodomic masonry. Very interesting is the structure of the interior, visible in the plans of the building. Ιt was built in the first period of the italian occupation (1925) and in its first phase it was richly decorated in a combination of the oriental and gothic styles. From 1936 onwards, when De Vecchi was the govenror, all the decorative elements were removed so that the facade was in accordance with the official architectural style of the state (Fascist Style). The building was called "Circolo Italia" and was used as a meeting place by the italian officers. Today it has been transformed into a coffee and pastry shop.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Amaranteios School

It is a stone, neoclassical building with basement and ground floor and a tiled roof. The main entrance of the building is located in the middle of the facade, in a large recess framed by four columns. All the outer surfaces of the walls are decorated with bands and pillars around the windows. The school was built in 1911 by a donation of G. and D. Amarantos. Today it is used as the Primary School of the City of Rhodes.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below.


Park

Official pages

The Medieval City of Rhodes

  The Medieval City of Rhodes was formed amongst the templates of Medieval cities that were created in the 14th and 15th century, which also presented noteworthy similarities. The influence of the indigenous Byzantine architectural tradition is significant as well as the majority of the constructions, which are in fact Rhodian. The Medieval City of Rhodes, that comprises a much smaller section of the ancient city, is distinguished by its exterior fortification, a project of the Knights' Order of St. John of Jerusalem. Once the Knights seized control of the island (1309), they made sure to its new fortification. Thus, the existing walls were not demolished; they were merely transformed and continuously supported (by increasing the width of the walls).
  The city maintained many gates (doors) that led to its interior and communication was allowed with the outside world. Each gate maintained the right to one of the Knights' seven languages depending on their country of origin (Province, Auvergne, France, England, Germany, Italy, Spain: Aragon, Castille).
  Inside the walls, the city was divided into three sections : a) the Government House or Palace of the Grand Master that was built upon the city's highest northwestern point, b) the Castle or Collachium located in the city's northern most point upon which significant buildings stood pertaining to public and private life. Some buildings include the Inns of the various "Tongues", the Virgin Mary of the Castle, St. John, the Hospital, the Archdioces, the Knights' neighborhood, the Arms Depot and the Naval port and c) Town (Ville, Bourg, Bourgo), which was located in the city's southern region, the residents of which were of various nationalities (Jews and Francs) and of course, Greeks.
  The town planning of the Medieval city followed the street axes of the Hellenistic and Byzantine city. The Street of the Knights, a linear-lined and gravel-paved road, traces the vestiges remaining from the ancient city's old street. Its skeletal outline contains the most beautiful public buildings of the Collachium. The Street of the Knights forms the foundation for the Inns of various Tongues (6) from which only four have been preserved: The Inn of Province (which has been renovated), the construction of which was completed in 1518; the Inn of France, whose construction was completed in 1509 and is the most remarkable; and of course, the Inns of Spain and Italy. The Hospital of the Knights is located across from the Spanish Inn. St. John's lodge is located in one corner of the Street of the Knights (a colonnade comprised of two aisles that was used as a monumental entrance into the Palace) and the Palace's Courtyard. The Suleyman Mosque or Tzami tou Souleyman (1522) is at the beginning of Socratous Street on the right hand side and just a short distance thereafter is the Agas Mosque or Aga Tzami. The Courts of Commerce (16th century) are located in the corner of Socratous Street. Aristotelous Street, which extends across the port, is "framed" with boiler works. To the left of Aristotelous Street, we find the Archdiocese Square in which we distinguish the well renowned Archbishop's building (15th century), which may have possibly constituted the Latin's Archbishop or Greek Metropolitan's residence. From Pindaros Street, one can see the Church of the Virgin Mary (early 15th century).
  Other significant buildings within the city include the Armenian Palace, which contains Roger de Pins' coat of arms, one of the first Grand Masters (1355 - 1365). The first Hospital, the Clock Tower (1851), the Church of St. Demetrios, the Chapel of France, the Church of Our Lady of Victory and St. Catherine's Inn.

This text is cited May 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs URL below.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.