Tel: +30 22810 79133
Massive building of monumental style with simple architectural lines and interesting construction. It has marble-built parts with furrow joints while marble stripes separate the stories and a cοnvex and concave moulding sets off the edifice's base. The final cornice is of marble and there is also a built parapet around the chamber. The building could well be described as an apartment building since it had different entrances. Morphologically and historically, the building is significant. As it can also be seen at the signposts, there lived Ch.A.Kriaras, resided King Otto and stayed E. Venizelos while an infant. From 1935 to 1963, it served as a Girls' Highschool.
By a ministerial decree of 1987, the building was identified as a work of art encircled by a protection zone extending to the property's boundaries. Today, part of the building is inhabited while the rest is empty.
The first Secondary School of Hermoupolis is situated behind the Town Hall. Founded in 1833, it was the first of its kind, not only in Hermoupolis, but in the whole of Greece. Together with the Secondary School of Nauplion, these were the first buildings constructed especially for this purpose. It is a two-storeyed building, ornately decorated along the central part of the first floor. It was designed by the Bavarian architect Herlaher and it was inaugurated on the 13th of November, 1834. According to an inscription at the entrance to the building, its first headmaster was Neofitos Vamvas. It has comfortable, high-ceilinged rooms. In the central hall on the first floor, we see a large frescoe of the Parthenon. Not only children from Syros studied there, but also from Chios, Psara and Crete. The school counts among its pupils such eminent figures as Eleftherios Venizelos, Dimitrios Vikelas, Andreas Sigoros, Klon, Kiparissos Stefanos and others.
This text is cited Apr 2003 from the University of Patras' XENIOS DIAS website URL below.
Tel: +30 210 3253059, 3243289
Fax: +30 210 3232547
The building is a mansion of heavily decorated architecture in the outside and interesting adornments inside. It is marble-built with masonry ashlar and a gable pediment on the third floor's shaft. Among its characteristic elements are the well-worked arched openings of the ground-floor shops and the decorations of exceptional technique on the stories (balcony windowsills, window cornices with legs dentils. The mansion was built by the architect, T. Vlysidis from the island of Syros.
After its recent repair, the wall-paintings were destroyed (mainly those in the stairwell).
By a ministerial decree of 1987, the building was identified as a work of art encircled by a protection zone extending to the property's boundaries.
Tel: +3022813 61000
Fax: +3022810 88232
Miaouli Square is impressive indeed. It is paved with marble slabs and bordered by tall palmtrees. The statue of admiral Andreas Miaoulis and the marble circular bandstand of the Philharmonic Orchestra are its main features, apart from the impressive Town Hall of Hermoupolis.
The Prefecture of the Cyclades is housed in a neoclassical mansion on Tsiropina square.
The Vaporia Quarter, the architectural jewel of Hermoupolis, is situated behind the church of Agios Nikolaos. A number of magnificent, restored buildings, with their wonderful frescoes, are situated here. Their proud occupants mainly belonged to the island's powerful shipowners' dynasty. This part of the town offers a breathtaking panoramic view of the Aegean Sea.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!