EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 20 sub titles with search on: Sights for wider area of: "TRIKALA Province THESSALIA" .


Sights (20)

Beautiful locations

Prophet Elias grove

(Following URL information in Greek only)


Bridges

PYLI (Small town) TRIKALA

  On the Portaikos river, in the height of Pyli, there are, near one another, four bridges of different eras (1514 until 1981) and of different technique (stone arcaded, two from concrete, pendent).
1) The arcaded bridge
  It is found roughly 1 km westwards of Pyli and has been built in 1514 by Agios Vissarionas. This bridge was unique until 1936 that connected the plain with the region of Aspropotamos. It is one-arched 67 m. long, 2, 05 m. wide, 30, 50 greatest height and height of parapets 0,70 m.
2) Kondyli bridge
  The needs of the days led to the manufacture of a new bridge for the car connection of Trikala with the mountainous villages. That is why, 1 km westwards the old arched bridge a new one was manufactured, modern for those days, from concrete. The manufacture began in November 1934 and finished in June 1936. This bridge, which looks like a shuttle, is 45, 30 m. long, 6 m. wide and 22 m. high. On June 9 of 1943 the rebels, in order to impede the mechanically-driven occupied troops, they blew the left winger pedestal. The bridge fell without breaking. Later, it was lifted off and it was restored in its initial place, where it remains until today and serves the communication with the villages of Pindos, but also with Arta.
3) Gikas bridge
  It was manufactured in 1960-61 from armed concrete and serves up to today a lot of villages in root of Kozjakas. It is 170 m. long
4) Pendent Footbridge
  It was manufactured in 1981 to service the residents of the settlement of Panagia, but also the visitors of the homonymous Byzantine church. It is 120 m. long and is supported by two 16 m. high pylons. The suspension of the deck is being done with straight protuberant cables and it is the first bridge in Greece that was manufactured with this technique. It is 2 m. wide and the height from the watercourse of the river is 7 m.

This text is cited Oct 2003 from the Municipality of Pyli URL below, which contains images.


Lethaios bridge

It is the central bridge of Lethaios, a tributary of the Peneus river, which flows through the city of Trikala.


Buildings

School of Dorotheos

  It is a stone-built building covered with a wooden roof with tiles of the "French" type. It has a plan in the form of the greek letter "Π" and two floors. Its rooms are appropriate for functionning as a School building: five rooms in the ground floor and storage and auxiliary rooms in the basement.
  Elements characterizing its fronts are the big wooden windows with iron bars and stone frames, the double staircase and the impressively decorated main entrance.
  It was built in 1908 with the kind offer of 1500 golden coins given by the benefactor Dorotheos Scholarios. Entire repair of the building took place in 1991.
  The building belongs to the Municipality of Trikala and is functionning as an Exhibition Room.
  In 1991 it was characterized as a preserved historical monument.

This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Castles, fortresses & fortifications

The Castle of Trikala

It was built by Justinian in the place of the ancient acropolis.


(Following URL information in Greek only)


Historical monuments

War Memorial

(Following URL information in Greek only)


Houses

GARDIKI (Village) TRIKALA

The house of Batagianni family (1866)


Local government WebPages

NERAIDA (Community) TRIKALA

George Kondyli's tomb

(Following URL information in Greek only)


The Zoo

(Following URL information in Greek only)


Old watermills

ROPOTO (Village) TRIKALA


Religious monuments

Cursum Mosque

(Following URL information in Greek only)


Rivers

Letheos River

(Following URL information in Greek only)


Squares & gardens

Matsopoulou Park

(Following URL information in Greek only)


Central Park

(Following URL information in Greek only)


Towers

GARDIKI (Village) TRIKALA

The tower of Karathanou family (1866)


Traditional settlements

Varoussi District

(Following URL information in Greek only)


Various

PERTOULI (Village) TRIKALA


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.