Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Sights
for destination: "PYLI
On the Portaikos river, in the height of Pyli, there are, near one
another, four bridges of different eras (1514 until 1981) and of different technique
(stone arcaded, two from concrete, pendent).
1) The arcaded bridge
It is found roughly 1 km westwards of Pyli and has been built in 1514
by Agios Vissarionas. This bridge was unique until 1936 that connected the plain
with the region of Aspropotamos.
It is one-arched 67 m. long, 2, 05 m. wide, 30, 50 greatest height and height
of parapets 0,70 m.
2) Kondyli bridge
The needs of the days led to the manufacture of a new bridge for the
car connection of Trikala
with the mountainous villages. That is why, 1 km westwards the old arched bridge
a new one was manufactured, modern for those days, from concrete. The manufacture
began in November 1934 and finished in June 1936. This bridge, which looks like
a shuttle, is 45, 30 m. long, 6 m. wide and 22 m. high. On June 9 of 1943 the
rebels, in order to impede the mechanically-driven occupied troops, they blew
the left winger pedestal. The bridge fell without breaking. Later, it was lifted
off and it was restored in its initial place, where it remains until today and
serves the communication with the villages of Pindos,
but also with Arta.
3) Gikas bridge
It was manufactured in 1960-61 from armed concrete and serves up to
today a lot of villages in root of Kozjakas.
It is 170 m. long
4) Pendent Footbridge
It was manufactured in 1981 to service the residents of the settlement
of Panagia, but also
the visitors of the homonymous Byzantine church. It is 120 m. long and is supported
by two 16 m. high pylons. The suspension of the deck is being done with straight
protuberant cables and it is the first bridge in Greece that was manufactured
with this technique. It is 2 m. wide and the height from the watercourse of the
river is 7 m.
This text is cited Oct 2003 from the Municipality of Pyli URL below, which contains images.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.