Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites
for wider area of: "GOUVES
Archaeological sites (4)
Excavations carried out in 1945 unearthed tombs of the Minoan period with many significant findings.
Near the village at a place called Artsa was discovered a tomb of the Late Minoan period with interesting findings.
Ancient villas & houses
Minoan Megaron at Nirou Chani
Luxurious house, two storeys high, built of large ashlar blocks. The walls were strenghtened by timber-frames and covered with a thick layer of plaster and marble slabs. The building has a paved courtyard, a shrine, storerooms for agricultural products, a staircase, and rooms with benches. It has been interpreted as a High Priest's house, due to the numerous ceremonial vessels it contained.
The house was probably built in the 16th century B.C. (MM III period) and, after its destruction by fire in the 15th century B.C. (LM IB period), was finally abandoned.
The "Minoan Megaron" at Nirou was excavated in 1918 by St. Xanthoudides. In 1960, under the supervision of the Ephor of Antiquities N. Platon, the site was fenced and the building restored. The monument is consolidated and cleared at intervals by the 23rd Ephorate.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
- Hellenic Ministry of Culture WebPage
Earlier in this century archaeologists excavated a Minoan villa, known
today as the Nirou Hani dated from the New Palace Period (1600-1450 B.C.). The
remains of the villa are well-preserved. The huge double axes they found are on
display in the Iraklion Museum. Many tripod tables for offerings were found stacked
in piles, suggesting exports of religions instruments from the nearby harbour.
The site is open to the public.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.