Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites
for destination: "KERKYRA
Archaeological sites (2)
Perseus Site Catalog
Region: Ionian Islands
Periods: Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic, Roman
Type: Fortified city
Summary: A colony established by Corinth that grew to become an
Corcyra, second largest of the Ionian Islands, is at the
NW extreme of Greek territory, ca. 3 km W of the coast of Albania. It is a fertile
and well-watered island and a natural stopover for sea traffic between Greece
and Italy. The ancient city of Corcyra (just S of the modern city) was established
by Corinthian colonists on a large hook-shaped peninsula at the center of the
sheltered E coast. The peninsula encloses a lagoon (the ancient Hyllaian Harbor)
that could be closed by a chain. The fortified ancient city spanned the peninsula
from the lagoon on the W to the bay of Garitsa (ancient Alkinoos, the 2nd port
of Corcyra) on the E, and extended to the highland in the S, to the acropolis
(at the present village of Analipsis). The Archaic Temple of Artemis sat on the
lower N slopes of the acropolis hill. Other Archaic and Classical sanctuaries
and remains have been located on the peninsula, but much of the ancient city has
been quarried for stone to build the Medieval city and fortresses to the N.
The earliest known human occupation of the island dates
to the Mesolithic period, but according to ancient authors the inhabitants were
barbarians until Corinth established a colony there in 734 B.C. The colony was
placed on the E coast of the island, where a small group of Euboean merchants
had already founded a maritime way station. Corcyra prospered and soon began to
form colonies of its own; leading to a conflict with the mother city in 664 B.C.
and the first recorded sea battle between Greek city-states. New conflicts between
Corcyra and Corinth in 435-431 B.C. brought Athens to the aid of Corcyra and precipitated
the Peloponnesian War. During the following 2 centuries the island's alliance
passed from Athens to Sparta to Epirus. Corcyra came under Roman control in 229
B.C. and served as a major naval base. The city was abandoned after destruction
by the Goths in the 6th century A.D. and was used as a quarry for the later city
to the N.
Early topographical research by Schliemann, Berand, Dorpfeld
and others. The first systematic excavations in 1910-1914 were directed by Versakis
and Rhomaios for the Greek Service and Dorpfeld for the German Institute. This
work, south of the modern town of Corfu was continued by Rhomias in 1919-1920;
by Papademetriou in 1939; by V. Kallipolitis in 1954-1961; and since 1962 by G.
Dontas. Explorations in the northern part of the island include those of W. Dorpfeld
in 1911; V. Kallipolitis, 1957-1961; K. Kostoglou-Despini in 1971; and A. Sordinas
in the early 1960's.
Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 95 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Perseus Building Catalog
Corcyra, Temple of Artemis
Summary: Pseudo-dipteral temple; in the Sanctuary of Artemis at
Kardaki on the island of Corcyra (Corfu).
Date: ca. 580 B.C.
Plan: Archaic Doric pseudo-dipteral temple, 8 x 17 columns, cella with pronaos
and opisthodomos, both distyle in antis. Cella opening east, and divided into
3 aisles by an interior colonnade of 2 rows of 10 columns each.
This text is cited Nov 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 13 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.