OURANOUPOLIS (Ancient city) AGION OROS
In the region of Ouranoupolis, one kilometre east of the village, and during the work of private property levelling, a Roman grave was revealed. It was found in low elevation in a place called "kokkinohorafo", near the street that leads to the abbey of Zigou near the border of Mount Athos. At a small distance, further north, there is a water bridge and a post byzantine water gallery, as well as various other manufactures relative with the water feeder of the region. In 1959 further uphill, in a graphic place called "Kokkinara", on private property, Manolis Andronikos a very important archeologist discovered relics and remains of an important hellenistic building and also of ancient objects, such as earthen oil lamps, coins and lead items. The research was most probably on a rather small scale so it was not promoted. The first discovery although not impressive, adds a new topographic element to the undiscovered region.
This grave is a constructed square-shaped grave orientated parallel to the seashore. A thin layer of stone was on top of it. Similar layers of stone have been found within the region proving the existence of an ancient organized cemetery.
The walls of the grave are built off-handedly with stones and conjunctive matter of yellowish clay, while the natural soil constitutes its flooring. The dead, in supine position, was placed directly in the natural red soil. The only belongings of the dead were a coin placed on his thorax, and an earthen oil lamp next his left leg. Chronologically this grave dates back to the third quarter of the 3rd century A.C.
Το κείμενο παρατίθεται τον Μάρτιο 2004 από την ακόλουθη ιστοσελίδα του Δήμου Σταγίρων - Ακάνθου
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!