In the Eastern side of the island in the location Voroskopos near the village Kaminia, the neolithic settlement of Poliohni is found. It was discovered by the Italian Archaeological Faculty of Athens in the summertime of 1930. It is about a big part of a settlement of the Precocious Era of Copper, with a lot of phases of architectural and cultural growth that cover entire the 3rd B.C. millenary. The excavations symbolized each architectural phase with a separate colour distinguishing seven periods in total, the last ones of which coincide with corresponding from Troia across. Poliohni is considered to be the first constituted settlement of Europe. With barns and the first (worldwide) space of aggregation and consultation (chamber of deputies).
This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Municipality of Moudros URL below.
A rectangular building with a double row of stepped seats on the long
sides, at the southwest side of the hill of Poliochni.
It dates back to prehistoric times (Early Bronze Age), around 3000 and 2100 BC. It was presumably used as a kind of "Bouleuterion". According to italian archaeologists, who were in charge of the excavations in the area, the "Bouleuterion" at Poliochni served as a meeting-place for the "notables", the representatives of the families of the settlement. They got together to work on the problems of this early community.
According to the archaeologists mentioned above, the "Bouleuterion" of Poliochni represents the earliest evidence of Democracy on european ground.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Foundation of the Hellenic World URL below.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!