Archaeological sites MANTINIA (Province) ARCADIA - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 24 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites  for wider area of: "MANTINIA Province ARCADIA" .


Archaeological sites (24)

Ancient acropoles

Gortsouli hill

MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA
  Κοντά στον αρχαιολογικό χώρο της αρχαίας Μαντινείας βρίσκεται λόφος χαρακτηριστικού σχήματος, ο λόφος Γκορτσούλι και ο αρχαιολογικός του χώρος. Στούς πρόποδες του λόφου υπάρχει μικρός οικισμός, ενώ ένας χωμάτινος δρόμος οδηγεί στην κορυφή του. Σύμφωνα με τους αρχαιολόγους στη θέση αυτή υπήρχε εκτεταμένος οικισμός και ακρόπολη των Πρωτοελλαδικών χρόνων. Στους αρχαϊκούς χρόνους η πόλη μεταφέρθηκε στον επίπεδο χώρο, δηλαδή στη θέση του αρχαιολογικού χώρου της αρχαίας Μαντινείας. Στην κορυφή του λόφου, όπου και ο ναός της Ζωοδόχου Πηγής, βρέθηκαν σε ανασκαφές του Θ. Σπυρόπουλου μυκηναϊκά όστρακα και ένα ναϊκό κτίσμα ορθογωνίου σχήματος στο εσωτερικό του οποίου αποκαλύφθηκαν πολλοί σφαιρικοί αρύβαλλοι και άλλα ευρήματα των όψιμων αρχαϊκών χρόνων. Λείψανα ναϊκού κτίσματος ανακαλύφθηκαν επίσης και στον κοντινό λόφο Τριπήχι, όπου βρέθηκαν χαρακτηριστικά λατρευτικά πήλινα εδώλια κάποιας θεότητας, τα οποία εκτίθενται στο Αρχαιολογικό Μουσείο Τρίπολης.

Το κείμενο παρατίθεται τον Μάρτιο 2003 από την ακόλουθη ιστοσελίδα, με φωτογραφία, του ARCADIA website, του Πανεπιστημίου Πατρών


Ancient sanctuaries

Sanctuary of Poseidon Ippios (Horse)

MILEA (Village) MANTINIA

Ancient temples

Poseidon Temple

ASSEA (Ancient city) VALTETSI

Ancient theatres

Ancient theatre of Mantinia

MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA

Ancient towns

Archaeological Site of Episkopi

Buildings

Bouleuterion

MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA
  A Stoa at the South of agora, the seat of the local Boule (parliament) founded during 4th century BC. Wooden benchy along the walls provided for seating.
  Initially, the edifice had an "U" shaped plan, comprising three wings and a colonnade opening to the Agora. At the turn of 4th to 3rd century BC a second stoa was added at a lower level to the south connected to the older one through stairways. A room built at the east side during 2nd century AD most probably was dedicated to the worship or to man emperors.
  The use of the building for civic purpose rests on several inscriptions of a political nature (that where) found in or near it. The bouleuterion at Mantineia is a rare example of a stoa used for housing an assembly.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Foundation of the Hellenic World URL below.


Excavations

Swedish Institute at Athens

ASSEA (Ancient city) VALTETSI
Asea in Arcadia
  Asea is located in the heart of the Peloponnese. The Asea valley was inhabited, first in the Middle/Upper Paleolithic period (ca. 40.000 B.P) by people making their living from hunting and fishing. During most of the Neolithic period and the Bronze Age there were several villages in the valley, of which the most important one was located on the Asea Paleokastro hill. After a couple of dark centuries, an urban settlement developed on and around the Paleokastro with the hill as its akropolis. Just to the north of the akropolis a cultplace was located, which especially during Classical times attracted visitors from near and afar in order to make their offerings. This and much more has been learnt through the Asea Valley Survey undertaken between 1994-1996 and directed by Jeannette Forsen from Goteborg University. As a direct spinoff from the survey the Late Archaic temple located on top of the mountain Ayios Elias in Asea was excavated in 1997. During a four week long campaign Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian scholars found evidence of a nearly unbroken chain of cult practice from the Late Bronze Age to Hellenistic times. Sporadic finds of a younger date were also made. The city walls on and below the Asea Paleokastro were documented in the year 2000. The preliminary results of this work show that only the spurwalls are of Hellenistic date, whereas other walls on top of the akropolis are of Classical date.

Jeanette Forsen
This text is cited Jun 2005 from The Swedish Institute at Athens URL below

Mycenaean settlements

Mycenaean settlement of Paleopyrgos

PALEOPYRGOS (Village) LEVIDI

Perseus Site Catalog

Mantinea

MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA
Region: Arcadia
Periods: Geometric, Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic, Roman
Type: Fortified city
Summary: A rival of Tegea as the most important Arkadian city.

Physical Description:
    Located ca. 12 km NE of modern Tripolis on the upland plain, Mantinea occupied the area of 5 smaller villages that had synoicized at an uncertain date (cf. Tegea). The oldest section of the city was centered on the Gortsouli (ancient Ptolis) hill. In the 4th century B.C. the city was rebuilt and new city walls, ca. 4 km in length, were built with over 100 towers and 9 or 10 gates. The course of the river Ophis was altered to provide additional defense. The city walls are among the best fortifications of Classical Greece and may have been designed by the same Thebian engineer who planned the walls of Messene. The city had a Temple of Hera and a colonnaded agora with a theater at its W end.
Description:
   
Already mentioned in Homer's Iliad, Mantinea of the Classical period was a synoicism of 5 smaller villages. It was one of the most important of Arkadian cities and a rival of Tegea. Mantinea was allied with Sparta until the Peloponnesian War when it sided with Athens. In 385 B.C. Sparta destroyed Mantinea and dispersed the inhabitants. In 371 B.C. the city was rebuilt with new fortification walls and repopulated. In 370 B.C. Lykomedes of Mantinea instigated the foundation of the Arkadian League, but in 364 the city left the league to form a new alliance with Sparta. In 222 B.C. the city revolted against Macedonian control and suffered destruction by Antigonos Doson, who then rebuilt the city and renamed it Antigoneia, a name that it retained until the 2nd century A.D.
Exploration:
   
Excavations by the French School directed by G. Fougeres and V. Berard in 1887-1889.

Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 8 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


Tegea

TEGEA (Ancient city) ARCADIA
Region: Arcadia
Periods: Geometric, Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine
Type: Fortified city
Summary: One of the oldest and most powerful cities of Arkadia.

Physical Description:
   
Ancient Tegea, ca 10 km SE of modern Tripolis, extended over a large area on an upland plain that had previously been occupied by 9 smaller villages. It had a city wall from ca. 370 B.C. and, in addition to the agora, theater, stadium and other civic buildings, it was the location of a Sanctuary of Demeter and Kore where many Geometric and Archaic votives have been excavated. The main sanctuary of ancient Tegea, however, was the Temple of Athena Alea, reputed in ancient times as one of the most important religious centers in Greece. The sanctuary originated in the Geometric period and served throughout antiquity as a famous place of asylum for fugitives and exiles, including a number of former kings of Sparta. The Archaic Temple of Athena was replaced by a new temple in the 4th century B.C. and in the 5th century A.D. a Christian church was built in its cella.
Description:
   
Tegea, one of the oldest cities of Arkadia, was first recorded in the Homeric Catalogue of Ships. In the Archaic period the 9 villages of Tegea joined in a synoicism to form one large city (cf. Mantinea and Sparta). After a long period of struggle, Tegea was forced into the role of a vassal state by Sparta at ca. 560 B.C. It remained under Spartan control until it joined the Arkadian League and fought against Sparta in 362 B.C. At ca. 370 B.C. Tegea constructed its first city walls. During the 3rd century, however, Tegea suffered 3 defeats by the Spartans. In 222 B.C. Tegea was forced into the Achaean League and it continued to lose political power during the Hellenistic period. The city retained its prosperity and commercial importance, however, and flourished well into the Roman period. At ca. A.D. 395 Tegea was destroyed by the Goths, but was rebuilt under the name Nikli, and became one of the most important Byzantine cities in the Peloponnese.
Exploration:
   
G. Fougeres and V. Berard excavated in 1888-1889 for the French School. The Temple of Alea Athena was investigated by A. Milchhofer in 1879 and by W. Dorpfeld in 1882: it was excavated by G. Mendel and C. Dugas of the French School between 1900 and 1910. K. Dimakopoulou excavated at the site in 1964-1965. The current excavations (1990-) are conducted by the Norwegian Institute at Athens, under the direction of E. Oestby.

Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Nov 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 58 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


Workshops

Ancient Metallurgical Furnaces In Steno

STENO (Village) KORYTHIO

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions