Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites
for wider area of: "TEGEA
Archaeological sites (2)
- The Srine of the Gooddeness Athena
Perseus Site Catalog
Periods: Geometric, Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine
Type: Fortified city
Summary: One of the oldest and most powerful cities of Arkadia.
Ancient Tegea, ca 10 km SE of modern Tripolis, extended
over a large area on an upland plain that had previously been occupied by 9 smaller
villages. It had a city wall from ca. 370 B.C. and, in addition to the agora,
theater, stadium and other civic buildings, it was the location of a Sanctuary
of Demeter and Kore where many Geometric and Archaic votives have been excavated.
The main sanctuary of ancient Tegea, however, was the Temple of Athena Alea, reputed
in ancient times as one of the most important religious centers in Greece. The
sanctuary originated in the Geometric period and served throughout antiquity as
a famous place of asylum for fugitives and exiles, including a number of former
kings of Sparta. The Archaic Temple of Athena was replaced by a new temple in
the 4th century B.C. and in the 5th century A.D. a Christian church was built
in its cella.
Tegea, one of the oldest cities of Arkadia, was first recorded
in the Homeric Catalogue of Ships. In the Archaic period the 9 villages of Tegea
joined in a synoicism to form one large city (cf. Mantinea and Sparta). After
a long period of struggle, Tegea was forced into the role of a vassal state by
Sparta at ca. 560 B.C. It remained under Spartan control until it joined the Arkadian
League and fought against Sparta in 362 B.C. At ca. 370 B.C. Tegea constructed
its first city walls. During the 3rd century, however, Tegea suffered 3 defeats
by the Spartans. In 222 B.C. Tegea was forced into the Achaean League and it continued
to lose political power during the Hellenistic period. The city retained its prosperity
and commercial importance, however, and flourished well into the Roman period.
At ca. A.D. 395 Tegea was destroyed by the Goths, but was rebuilt under the name
Nikli, and became one of the most important Byzantine cities in the Peloponnese.
G. Fougeres and V. Berard excavated in 1888-1889 for the
French School. The Temple of Alea Athena was investigated by A. Milchhofer in
1879 and by W. Dorpfeld in 1882: it was excavated by G. Mendel and C. Dugas of
the French School between 1900 and 1910. K. Dimakopoulou excavated at the site
in 1964-1965. The current excavations (1990-) are conducted by the Norwegian Institute
at Athens, under the direction of E. Oestby.
Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Nov 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 58 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.