EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 11 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites for wider area of: "TRIFYLIA Province MESSINIA" .


Archaeological sites (11)

Ancient palaces

PYLOS (Ancient city) MESSINIA

The palace of Nestor

The palace of Nestoras, son of Neleas, was discovered and searched in 1939 by Konstantinos Kourouniotis and excavated by the American Karl Blegen and is found in the region «Eglianos» 4 km south of the borough of Chora. It is a piece of work dating back to the 13th century B.C. and was built by the Dynasty of Neliedon. It consists of five main buildings which take up such a large area that it can only be compared, in terms of size and arrangement of indoor space, to the palaces of Mycaenae and Tiryntha. In two small rooms of the central building there have been found 1250 signs with writing in Grammiki B, one of the oldest kinds of Greek writing, which has been decoded by the architect Michael Ventris, while in the rooms of Kylikeio and the storage rooms there have been found cups and pots and pans.
n an 80 m distance in the north of the palace, there has been found a magnificent domed tomb ascribed to Nestoras and his successor Thrasymides. The palace was destroyed by fire at the end of the ceramic of style IIIB (1200 B.C approximately), when the palaces of Mycaenae and Tiryntha were burnt down too, for unknown reasons. At the same time, in about 1120 B.C. the Dories descended in Messinia due to the weakening of the powerful Kingdoms of the area. The extended area around the hill of Eglianos which was taken up by the palace of Nestoras as well as the royal domed tomb has been formed and welcomes the visits of many tourists.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


Ancient settlements

MYRO (Village) KYPARISSIA

Peristeria Hill

There is an imposing sight at the village Myro, 8 km northeast of Kyparissia, and on the hill of Peristeria where the archaeological spade of Spyros Marinatos brought to light, in 1960, an ancient settlement which belongs to the Protomycaenic Period (17th-16th century B.C). There, they found houses belonging to the Mesohellenic Era (2200-1580 B.C), three domed gold-bearing tombs, a wall surrounding tombs and remnants('perivolos') of a wall which surrounded the hill of Peristeria in the south. In 1976, the archaeological spade of professor Korre discovered monuments such as a domed tomb belonging to the first Mycaenic Era, a surface, a four-wall tomb and structures of 1500 B.C. The findings from the excavations, like golden jewellery, three golden cups, quite a few ostraka, golden horseshoes, spear points, a bronze sword, golden rodakes, a two-edged tool made of keratolithos, a golden owl etc are kept in the Museum of Chora. The wealth of findings and the size of buildings render the area of Peristeria as the centre of the extended area in the mycaenean era, while they are referred to as the «Mycaenae of Western Peloponesse» by Spyros Marinatos.

This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


Ancient tombs

KATO MALTHI (Settlement) TRIFYLIA

The domed tomb in Malthi

In Malthi (the homeric Dorio), the biggest acropolis of the 2nd century, there is the best-preserved domed tomb of Greece. The construction of its upper part is still saved today as well as the stone of the ceiling which is called Kleidi (Key) and sealed the top of its beehive-like construction.

This extract is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


The domed tomb of Koryfasio

The domed tomb of Koryfasio (excavated by Kourouniotis in 1925) contained ostraka(fragments of vases) which belonged to the Mesohellenic Period (2200-1580 B.C)which is a sign that Messinia had domed tombs when in Mycaenae pit tombs were used.

This extract is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


MYRO (Village) KYPARISSIA

The domed tombs at Peristeria

At Peristeria, the Mycaenae of Western Peloponnese, four domed tombs have been found, one of which is the biggest in Messinia. In the tombs of Peristeria there have been found written characters in Hieroglyphics and Grammiki A', engraved elements of Knossos, golden cups, jewellery and magnificent vases which are exhibited today in the museum of Chora.

This extract is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


The two tombs in Myrsinochori

The two tombs found in Myrsinochori can be characterised as princely because Cretan vases, amber necklaces, manuals with golden covering, a gold ring etc. were found there.


PSARI (Village) TRIFYLIA

TRAGANA (Settlement) GARGALIANI

The two tombs of Tragana

The archaeologists Skias and Marinatos have excavated the two tombs of Tragana. In one of them they found hollows containing remnants of burnt corpses (coal and bones).


Excavations

DORION (Prehistoric settlement) TRIFYLIA

Swedish Institute at Athens

Malthi/The Swedish Messenia expedition
  Malthi is the name of the northern spur of the mountain range of Ramovouni in northern Messenia. The village of Vasiliko is situated some kms northeast of Malthi. In 1926 Natan Valmin came to the region and was shown two tholos tombs which he excavated the same year. Later on a third tholos was identified, but it was destroyed before there was time to excavate it. The tholos tombs are situated just west of the Malthi acropolis, by the small village of Malthi (former Bodia). Tholos I was robbed and contained a mixture of Mycenaean pottery sherds and later material. The diametre of the circular chamber was 6.85 m and the height was 5.80 m. Tholos II was partly collapsed at the time of excavation and this tomb had also been robbed. Both tombs were obviously cut out from the cliff (according to Hope Simpson & Dickinson, A gazetteer of Aegean civilization in the Bronze Age, Vol I: The mainland and islands, 1979, 174) and were not built directly on flat ground as Valmin states. The next year Valmin excavated two more tholoi: one west of Kopanaki and another between Vasiliko and Bouga-Kallirrhoi. The results are published in Bulletin de la Societe Royale des Lettres de Lund 1926-1927, 190 ff.
  The same year, 1927, the excavation of the settlement on top of the acropolis started. Excavations continued in 1929, 1933 and 1934. During these years the entire settlement, which is encircled by a wall, was uncovered. The area within the wall measures 140 x 80 m. Valmin stated that the earliest habitation was Neolithic. This he called Dorion I. Dorion II was larger och would, according to Valmin, belong to the Early Bronze Age. The wall around the settlement was erected during Dorion IV in the Middle Bronze Age. This habitation continued down into Mycenaean times.
  Valmin describes how Dorion IV was divided into three separate parts: the central area where the architecture seemed to be more of a monumental character and where there were workshops in the northern part, the area which runs along the interior of the wall, and the empty areas where there was no habitation.
A number of 47 graves were excavated in the settlement within the walls. They were situated beneath and between the buildings. They are either simple pitgraves or cist graves, the sides of which consisted of stone slabs or were built by smaller stones. Single burials were most common, although some of the graves held two individuals and some held several. Two of the graves held no human bones. Nine of the burials were adults and the rest were children. Valmin searched in vain for chamber tombs in the region during all the excavation campaigns.
  It is now believed that the earliest habitation at Malthi cannot be dated earlier than the Middle Bronze Age. The pottery which Valmin called coarse 'Adriatic Ware' and which he found throughout the layers in the habitation beginning in the so-called Neolithic settlement, has proved to be typical for the local Middle Bronze Age in Messenia ((R.J. Howell i W.A. McDonald, 'Excavations at Nichoria: 1972-1973', Hesperia 44, 1975, 111). The encircling wall is now dated to the Late Helladic period (P. Darque, L?architecture domestique mycenienne. These du III° cycle, Paris 1980, 32f.).
  A building or part of a settlement dating to the Late Bronze Age was excavated in 1936 in the same area, where the two tholoi were excavated in 1926.
  In 1929 Valmin travelled around Messenia and some of his observations are recorded in Etudes topographiques sur la Messenie ancienne, 1930. After his travels Valmin saw reason to return and conduct excavations at two archaeological sites which he had found being of special interest. One of the sites was a temple to the rivergod Pamisos in Hagios Floros, ca 5 km east of Messene. The finds from this excavation indicate that this cult place had been in use from Archic down to Roman times. The other site was Koroni in southeastern Messenia (the colony of the inhabitants from Asine in the Argolid). Just north of the town Valmin excavated a Roman mosaic in a room supposed to have been a larger complex: a villa or a gymnasium. Dionysos is the central motif of the mosaic.
  Many of the finds from the various excavations conducted by Valmin and his colleagues were restored and put on display in the local museum of Vasiliki. This museum is now closed. The finds from his excavation are now in the Kalamata Museum.
  The following excavations under the direction of Valmin are published in The Swedish Messenia Expedition, 1938:
The two tholos tombs of Malthi (Bodia).
The settlement of Malthi including the tombs.
The temple of Pamisos at Hagios Floros.
The Roman mosaic at Hagia Triada close to Koroni.

Ann-Louise Schallin, ed.
This text is cited Jun 2005 from The Swedish Institute at Athens URL below


Perseus Site Catalog

PYLOS (Ancient city) MESSINIA

Pylos

Region: Messenia
Periods: Middle Bronze Age, Late Bronze Age
Type: Settlement
Summary: Mycenaean palace complex and traditional home of Nestor.

Physical Description:
    Located near Navarino Bay and modern Pylos (close to village of Khora) on the hill of Epano Englianos. The site compares in size and richness with the palace of Mycenae and is believed to be the home of Nestor, the second most powerful Mycenaean king. The palace consisted of two-storeyed buildings arranged in three main blocks: the main building with a megaron hall (containing the throne), propylon, archives (with hundreds of clay tablets preserved), magazines and private chambers. The SW and NE blocks contained workshops, storerooms and private chambers. The palace was apparently unfortified. Tholos tombs and a lower town are associated with the palace.
Description:
   
The site was occupied at least as early as the Middle Bronze Age. The Mycenaean palace (which seems to have replaced an earlier fortified palace) was built near the end of the Late Bronze Age (LH IIIB, ca. 1300 B.C.) and shortly thereafter the site was destroyed and abandoned. Pylos is the best preserved of all the Mycenaean palaces and is especially important for the hundreds of Linear B clay tablets found (accidentally preserved through baking in the fire that destroyed the palace) at the site.
Exploration:
   
Site was explored in 1939. Excavations: 1952- C. Blegen and Kourouniotis.

Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 26 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.