MYRO (Village) KYPARISSIA
There is an imposing sight at the village Myro, 8 km northeast of Kyparissia, and on the hill of Peristeria where the archaeological spade of Spyros Marinatos brought to light, in 1960, an ancient settlement which belongs to the Protomycaenic Period (17th-16th century B.C). There, they found houses belonging to the Mesohellenic Era (2200-1580 B.C), three domed gold-bearing tombs, a wall surrounding tombs and remnants('perivolos') of a wall which surrounded the hill of Peristeria in the south. In 1976, the archaeological spade of professor Korre discovered monuments such as a domed tomb belonging to the first Mycaenic Era, a surface, a four-wall tomb and structures of 1500 B.C. The findings from the excavations, like golden jewellery, three golden cups, quite a few ostraka, golden horseshoes, spear points, a bronze sword, golden rodakes, a two-edged tool made of keratolithos, a golden owl etc are kept in the Museum of Chora. The wealth of findings and the size of buildings render the area of Peristeria as the centre of the extended area in the mycaenean era, while they are referred to as the «Mycaenae of Western Peloponesse» by Spyros Marinatos.
This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.
At Peristeria, the Mycaenae of Western Peloponnese, four domed tombs have been found, one of which is the biggest in Messinia. In the tombs of Peristeria there have been found written characters in Hieroglyphics and Grammiki A', engraved elements of Knossos, golden cups, jewellery and magnificent vases which are exhibited today in the museum of Chora.
This extract is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!