In Agios Panteleimon, almost side by side to the ruins of an important temple, six coffins of the Roman Period were uncovered. They are part of a necropolis. The graves were made of ornate marble slabs
In 1899, Otto Rubensohn discovered, to the north of the gulf of Parikia and at the top of Vigla, the Temple where the Apollo of Delion was worshipped. This temple, called Delion, had close ties with Delos and Naxos. It also housed the shrine of Apollo's sister Artemis and of their mother Leto.
Contemporary archeologists (a.o. M. Zafiropoulos), uncovered the site around the temple by demolishing the walls, thereby finding 41 objects, which were brought to the Archeological Museum of Paros.
A Cycladic Cemetery with considerable finds (Cycladic figurines etc.) was also uncovered on the site of the Delion.
At the beginning of the century, German archeologists started excavations to the southwest of Parikia, on the hill of Agia Anna and on the lower part of two natural terraces which are formed by a rocky formation unusual to the island. They discovered a site where Asklepeios, God of Medecine, was worshipped.
It is a rectangular building in Doric style, erected in the 4th century B.C., 45 m long and 17 m wide. The short sides are marked by two arcades.
At 500 meters distance from Ecatontapiliani, on a site called "Tholakia", ceramics furnaces of significant size, dating from Antiquity, were found. Excavations started in 1986, and were completed in 1993. It is cited as a perfect example of a well preserved find. This ceramics workshop was still operational in late Hellenistic times.
A large portion of an ancient wall was discovered in 1990, at 300 m from the Ceramics workshop.
One of the most notorious archeological successes of the last years is the discovery of what probably was a large public building of Archaic times (6th century B.C.). It was used well into the post-hellenic Roman period (2nd century B.C.). This is proven by a second construction on top of the older wall.
However, the major discovery on this site consisted of the statue of the archaic Gorgon of Paros (6th century B.C.), sculpted in Parian marble, and probably part of the central frieze of an ancient temple.
Post- Hellenic - Roman period. Houses and public buildings of the post-Hellenic, Roman period, adorned with mosaic floors, came to light during work on a recent building site on Paros. These remains were incidentally uncovered when work began for a new cultural centre.
The hillock of the Acropolis of Parikia, on which all the sanctuaries were built, is only 10 metres above sea-level and was called "To Kastro" ever since the Duke of Paros erected his castle on the foundations of the acropolis, in 1260 A.C.
Just opposite the port of Parikia, on the site called KRIOS, an important find has been excavated. It is an ancient building, 23 m long and 8,40 m wide, dating from the 2nd century B.C. Unfortunately, it is as yet not opened to visitors.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!