The area was first inhabited during the Neolithic Era, according to findings in Kastri, near Oreos.
The beautiful seaside town that we see today was created by the refugees, that arrived here in 1926, from Pyrgos in Constantinople, who turned the place into a small paradise.
Ever since it was formed, the municipality of Pyrgos is constantly developing. It is near the Istiea – Edipsos road, 7km from Istiea, and along a beautiful sandy beach. Today, Pyrgos is almost one with the town of Orei as new homes are being built.
West of Pyrgos (approximately 1km) is a small natural beach near the old Istiea – Edipsos road. This area is called ‘Nissiotisa’.
Contemporary Pyrgos has approximately 1500 permanent residents, many hotels of a variety of categories as well as small homes and apartments for rent.
The above extract is from the tourist brochure of the municipality of Orei , May 2003.