Bourtzi is called the small planted peninsula that separates in two parts the port of Skiathos island. There they are the ruins of an old Venetian fortress and the neoclassic buildings of the old school, which houses the Cultural Centre of Skiathos. That small peninsula, in the past, was a fortress that was built by Gyzi brothers when they occupied the island in 1207. It was wall rounded with bastions and turrets, but it was destroyed in 1660, when Francis Morozini, the Venetian admiral, occupied the island.
Today, Bourtzi is a beautiful landscape with spectacular sea view and has a small cafe bar.