MONI XIROPOTAMOU (Monastery) AGION OROS - Greek Travel Pages

MONI XIROPOTAMOU, Monastery, AGION OROS

MONI XIROPOTAMOU Monastery AGION OROS View map

Overview

  The monastery is in the middle of the athonite peninsula, on the way from Daphne to Karyes and is dedicated to the 40 Martyrs. The Katholicon was built in 1761 by the monk Caesarius Daponte and decorated with frescoes in 1783. The monastery has several chapels and a few kellia.
  The monastery was founded in the end of 10th c., possibly by the monk Pavlos Xeropotaminos, and prospered till the Frankish conquest, when it is attacked and sacked by pirates. In the late Byzantine period it is financially supported by the Paleologan dynasty as well as Serbian rulers. After the fall of Byzantium, the turkish raids, and two destructive fires in 1507 and 1609, cause serious damages to the monastery.
  The monastery owns a rich collection of heirlooms, the most outstanding of which, is the largest in the world piece of the Christ's Cross, as well as a small round steatite icon, known as the Pulcheria Disk.
  The library contains about 400 manuscripts and 4,000 books.
  The monastery is inhabited by a brotherhood of 30 monks.

Find within MONI XIROPOTAMOU

pin
0
Related Destinations
View
bed
0
Hotels & Accommodation
View
Boat
Domestic sea schedules

Additional area information for MONI XIROPOTAMOU

Choose one from the list below or click here to see them all (4) members only
Total area information: 4 information found around the area

Geographical Data

Postal Code: 63087
Tel +30 23770
Longitude: 24o 13' 11.15" E
Latitude: 40o 13' 40.49" N

Population Census

Year Population
1991 41

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions