The village Daphni was once called Sverdia. The church honoured in
the name of Aghioi Anargyroi was found here in 1856, when the icon of the Saints
- Kosmas and Damianos - was revealed in a crypt dug in the earth. These Saints
are still believed to be miracle-makers. According to tradition the abundant water
of the region is a result of a miracle of Aghios Athanassios, who founded the
first Monastery at Athos.
Once the Saint was passing from the area, and he felt thirsty, he struck the earth
with his stick and water sprung out.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos
Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).