Itea, built in the background of the Crissaean Gulf extends together
with the neighbouring Kirra, along the coastline of the plain sharing the same
name, the Crissaean Plain and it is the south ending up of the famous landscape
of Delphi. Itea, a relatively
new city, since it was founded in 1830, it managed to become soon an important
commercial and transit centre due to a series of favourable circumstances. Nowadays,
its population is about 9.000 people. The access to the city is easy, either by
sea - it has a good port that serves the transport of both people and goods -
or by land, as it is connected to the big road axis of Greece. It constitutes
the way out to the sea not only for the Department - it is the port of Amfissa
and Delphi - but also for
the entire area of Central Greece. Its marine constructed according to the most
advanced specifications has an anchorage capacity of 250 vessels and it is a good
solution for vessel owners even from Attica.
On 17th September 1827, in the bay of Η°gkaliΘ- (embrace), where there
was a dock for vessels the so- called "Salona Dock", Frank Abney Hastings,
a warm philellene and admiral of the Greek nautical force, piloting the first
steam military ship in history, ΗKarteriaΘ, blew up the Turkish flagship and decimated
the Turkish fleet. The terrible naval battle, that ended before it began, was
almost bloodless for the Greek squadron and decisive for the Struggle of the Greek
people. It contributed substantially to the acceptance of the idea of forming
a state military fleet and marked the beginning of Greece's independence. Itea's
street planning is perfect, it follows the Hippodamean System of Road planning,
and gives city and its visitors the feeling of comfort and functionality. Squares
and alleys full of trees make city beautiful and visitors can enjoy a walk through
these, on the dock and on the beautiful green hill of Agioi Anargiri. The city
is able, with its physical presence, its infrastructure and a net of services,
to offer to its visitors a modern and comfortable accommodation. Its shape allows
the contact with the sea from two sides, with beaches where everyone can pass
a few hours of tranquillity and pleasure in the clear water and escape from everyday
The "Trokantero" and "Maiami" beaches, honoured with "Blue Flags",
gather many bathers as well as "Nafsika" and "Evaggelistria" beaches.
The city has the capacity to receive and it receives big events, such as "Acropolis"
and "Olympion" rallies, swimming contests of international prestige,
congresses, etc.. Several events - sport events (basketball, swimming, bicycle
races, cultural events (Nautical Week, carnival, Itea koulouma, concerts, etc.)-
entertain the local people and visitors all around the year. Itea, a modern, active
city, invites visitors to have a comfortable accommodation, to relax and enjoy
magical nights with a view to the Corinthian
Gulf. Municipality of Itea comprises: Kirra,
a very ancient town. Its foundation is lost in the darkness of prehistory. Findings
from excavations reinstate the existence of a settlement since year 3.000 BC.
The tradition considers that Cretan merchants founded the city. The existence
of Kirra during the historic period - after 1100 BC - cannot be questioned and
it is stated as a rich and powerful city. It was the only point of access to the
Delphi and flourished as
the port of the sacred city.
In addition, its power allowed it to play essential and leading role
to the matters of Fokida (Phocis)
and of the entire region. It was surrounded will strong walls, it was decorated
with temples - of Apollo, Artemis, Leto - and immense statues, according to Pausanias.
It had integrated port facilities, shipyards and private buildings and reservoirs.
We do not know the end of Kirra.
It is said that it was ruined in AD 740 by a devastating earthquake that hit many
areas of the Balkans, even Constantinople.
At the area of the port there still is a partly ruined medieval tower that had
been possibly used as a lighthouse. Nowadays Kirra
and Itea form a unique residential
complex. Kirra's beaches are ideal for sea-sports, there is an organised beach
at "Vrachakia"- and it has many rooms for rent, cambing facilities and traditional
taverns with sea food Tritea
is situated at the north-west of Itea bay, at an altitude of 380 metres. It is
an ancient city which once was inhabited by Ozolians and Lokrians until 30 BC.
It was an area submitted to the Roman Governor of Achaia. Near to the ruins of
ancient Tritea , nowadays
is situated the new village, which in the past was known as Kolopetinitsa, a name
given due to a possible misunderstanding of Kalopetinitsa.
This text is cited Sept 2003 from the WebPage
of the Prefecture of